Museum garbage selling for big $ at auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Museum garbage selling for big $ at auction

To my amazement these garbage cloth lots sold for big money at the recent Auburn Indiana Victory museum Auction...(mostly vehicles were sold)

What were these bidders thinking???
    It's from a museum so it must be real???
    Attached Files

Tabs...
    Attached Files

Comment

and this common cloth lot (appears to be authentic but definately not worth what it sold for....???)
      Attached Files

Comment

It's "Naatzi" so must be valuable and real

Comment

Oh dear oh dear ... I can't wait to see these appear on here for review

The hard of thinking shouldn't be allowed out of the house with real money

Comment

I visited this museum about 7 years ago, some neat vehicles, but yes this stuff, ouch!
            I remember this place also had some cool classic cars at the other end of the museum.

Comment

But it's from a Museum (or the family/Barn find/Old collection/vet/comes with C.O.A/Dealer in New Jersey) it must be real!!!

Pete

Comment

About Museums

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                To my amazement these garbage cloth lots sold for big money at the recent Auburn Indiana Victory museum Auction...(mostly vehicles were sold)

What were these bidders thinking???
                It's from a museum so it must be real???
                Many collectors and dealers think its from a museum that its 100% good!Go to auctions and see what the guys are bidding for cheap items!Also their is a large amount of junk that is not close to original pieces.These auctions(not all of them) don't know whats real or whats not.Check out Auction Zip and all the auctions they have with German items and The Max Show with Afflilated Auctions has plenty of bad stuff!Just ask for there catalog and see the garbage they have! Just my opinion of 43 years of collecting. CDR. PS. When do you see the reverse of many bad pieces in auctions??

Comment

About 7-8 years ago I was working in Fort Wayne on a temporary basis and discovered this museum. It was originally located in Belgium (I think) and then sold out to a buyer here in the States. I always called this museum "The Missing Link Museum" because it had all of those vehicles you never see in other museums; the cars, trucks, half-tracks, etc. They had several Italian vehicles used in North Afrika and a German half-track with a cover on the back and nebelwerfer rocket launchers. They were planning on putting each vehicle, or small groups, into realistic dioramas. I volunteered to help them with procuring and assembling all of the 'reproduction' uniforms for the mannequins that would be installed with the vehicles. But typical museums, I never heard anything from them!

The SS-Obergruppenfuhrer collar tabs are the same POS that Snyder sells as genuine. So the arithmetic is 'Snyder plus Museum equals Authentic'.

The Tank Museum down in Danville is doing the same thing. They have a dozen or so full WW2 German Army General's uniforms (and one SS-Gruppenfuhrer), all named, that are phoney as a four-dollar bill. And they are selling some stuff at ridiculous prices --- all crap too! But like it's been said, "But it's a museum... it's gotta be right!!!"

Bob

Comment

Hi,

The Victory Memorial Museum was just an amazing museum, created by an amazing collector. It opened in 1990, and closed at the end of the decade.

Unfortunately no one in Belgium or in the north of France saw the amazing work of the original owner, Guy Franz Arend. Shame to the local authorities !

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/..._ve_museum.htm

http://www.smhq.org/articles/victory_museum.html
                    The Kruze Museum (RIP)

http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Colle.../dp/B002I9U72M
                    Original book about the VMM collection.

The collection was including the only known complete sWS...
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwere...machtschlepper

We can still find postcards and documents from the museum in Europe...

At the end of the 90's, it seemed that the collection was partly stocked in the Bastogne Historical Center, where M. Arend discovered that many pieces "disappeared", and many some were replaced with fakes...

The collection was sold for 3 millions of dollars to Kruze...

39-45 Magazine (Heimdal) in France did a lot of reports from this museum.

See You

Vince
                    Last edited by FrenchVolunteer; 12-13-2012, 06:26 AM. Reason: additional infos

Comment

Thanks for the links Vince... Some amazing hardware there for sure!

Originally posted by FrenchVolunteer View Post
                      Hi,

The Victory Memorial Museum was just an amazing museum, created by an amazing collector. It opened in 1990, and closed at the end of the decade.

Unfortunately no one in Belgium or in the north of France saw the amazing work of the original owner, Guy Franz Arend. Shame to the local authorities !

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2003/..._ve_museum.htm

http://www.smhq.org/articles/victory_museum.html
                      The Kruze Museum (RIP)

http://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Colle.../dp/B002I9U72M
                      Original book about the VMM collection.

The collection was including the only known complete sWS...
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwere...machtschlepper

We can still find postcards and documents from the museum in Europe...

At the end of the 90's, it seemed that the collection was partly stocked in the Bastogne Historical Center, where M. Arend discovered that many pieces "disappeared", and many some were replaced with fakes...

The collection was sold for 3 millions of dollars to Kruze...

39-45 Magazine (Heimdal) in France did a lot of reports from this museum.

See You

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        But it's from a Museum (or the family/Barn find/Old collection/vet/comes with C.O.A/Dealer in New Jersey) it must be real!!!

Pete
                        If you had a nickel for every story that came your way that you stated you would have a large room full!!I do not believe these B.S. stories, i believe the piece thats someone is trying to get your cash for.Remember these people are not interested if its real or not!!Many times their friend(lets call him eddie) told them it was worth big money.For the most part eddie wouldn't know a rusted tinnie from a blood order!Stories are just that' stories' and don't listen just check out the piece,period!!! Museums and places of history all have showcases with repro's in them!COA'S are paper that someone received cash for making it out or from a dealer selling something for four or five figures! Think before you bite fellow collectors! CDR.
                        Last edited by COLLECT36; 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X