WTK opinion on SS SD ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTK opinion on SS SD ring

I got this off a friend a long time ago who said his dad brought this back. I know 99% of these are fake.

I posted this on the gunboards forum and it seems most people thought it might be real. But no one has ever seen one like this.

I would like your opinion on this ring. Is it real or not?

Comment

Can you elaborate more on what the guy said you got it from....I have seen rings close to this type , although when I see Berlin stamped or cast inside, I begin to become highly skeptical. Usually silver marks are deeper stamped, and the makers stamp center at the top , does not have very good details, where as stamps usually tend to get full of crud, and are usually protected by the recess the depression the stamp makes .

I would try and contact the kid you got it from and see if his dad is still alive, and ask if so what his dad can relate on the subject, but then again, if alive , his dad may wonder where his ring went , if he didnt give it to his sone, if the story is true.

I cannot say for sure if this one is 100% good or not , but I suspect you wore this ring around for a period till you couldn't fit into it any longer...Is that true??

The stamp is also faint in the center of the ring, below the top stamp being the same mark , if you look carefully. It is unfortunate you did not go talk to the father at the time to ask him about the ring, as most of my PP rings I followed up on to the vets as to how and where they were found or captured , but that was prior to anybody collecting german rings , and most of the ones I have I happened upon by talking to the vets about the war at the time, and they brought up that they even had rings they took off their fingers , then they excitedly dug them out to show me. I found them facinating, and so bought them just because they came across my path and I knew by the price and the stories ,they had to be originals.
      Last edited by juoneen; 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The son said he didn't know where his dad had got it, other than he brought it home from WWII. He said that he remembered his dad telling him when he was young that he brought this home and they had pretty much forgot about it until after his dad passed and they were going thru a drawer and they found it. No one in the family wanted it so he took it.

I bought it from the guy as a package deal with a few other German items that his dad had. He really didn't even know what it was other than it was a ring.

I've never wore it. So I don't know who wore it. But it's sat in my safe ever since I have owned it. And I've had local people look at it at gunshows, but most have said it's fake, but then they offer to buy it. So I don't know if I trust them. lol

Yeah I wish I knew the history of it. But other than his son saying he brought it back, I have no idea.

And the guy could have told me a story, or the vet could have bought it in the 50's or 60's as a copy and told his son he brought it back. I don't know.
        Last edited by cplnorton; 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

If that's supposed to be an 'SS' or an 'RZM' in a circle inside the ring then it's 100% fake ... as it is I feel it's only 99.9999% fake.

Ian.

Comment

...gut feeling says No when looking at the "Berlin" cast engraving..

Comment

I am with the majority of others that its probably a fake. I don't like the way BERLIN is marked in the ring and I would say that alone is indicitive that its bad. Additinoally the rest of the ring has very soft details and is not what I would expect of this type of ring. Many of these things were bought post war and mixed in with items taken back as we all know. Matt

Comment

It is a well known fake ring.

Comment

Why do people still fall for such obvious JUNK! ?????? The Berlin and any RZM/SS markings are SO HORRIBLY OBVIOUS!

99.9% of Skull rings & other "Germanic/WW 2" rings are FAKE, FANTASY, COPIED, artificially "ground dug".....dillussionary items....even that .01 that might be real are impossible to tell (almost).....and certianly don't say Berlin, SS, SD, RZM, have miniture Badges (Anti-Partisan, etc.), pictures of Adolf....or the like!!!!!

No offense.....but posting on "Gunboards" means nothing....that's probably the worst place to buy or sell "militaria".....unless you're passing off CRAP to the unknowing and "newbees" who think they're buying a treasure or getting a bargin. (Of course...some good stuff turns up there, just like every where....but
                  it's a "suckers" market as far a "militaria" goes....IMO, of course!
                  John G.
                  Mainemilitaria

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X