Skull for visor cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skull for visor cap

I found a picture on the following skull and I was wondering what the experts have to say about it.
    Attached Files

The back of the skull...
    Attached Files

Comment

100 percent correct..I have always thought these were Assmanns..but others have said they are not sure...to me they match the construction of the 155/43s..your piece even has two features that you dont see on the fakes..in fact I am almost 95 percent sure they are Assmanns's due to these two features also found on the eagles..anybody know what features I am talking about?

John

Comment

Hi,

The skull at least to me has been describe as an Assmann. Here is an example from my collection showing the skull and eagle. I'm not sure but I believe that I purchase the eagle from you John.

Rene Chavez
        Http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

HI Rene:

Nice pieces..yes it may have been my eagle, I had a few marked and unmarked versions of the 155 wartime eagles...as you know the mark is very small on these and can be easily missed and I suspect sometimes the die wore down making it impossible to see the maker mark if there ever was any...the skulls with the "ges gesch" and the 155 wartime eagles seem to be a perfect match..even down to being stamped from the same metal.

John

Comment

Hi guys!

Yep, that is a 100% authentic Assmann skull.
            John, I know what features you are talking about, but I think that we should probably keep them away from the forum. Just my opinion.
            Best, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector
              Hi guys!

Yep, that is a 100% authentic Assmann skull.
              John, I know what features you are talking about, but I think that we should probably keep them away from the forum. Just my opinion.
              Best, Chris
              Hi Chris:

My lips are sealed.

John

Comment

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the information regarding the skull I posted... I never thought this one to be original... The nice thing about this hobby is that one never stops learning....

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector
                  John, I know what features you are talking about, but I think that we should probably keep them away from the forum...
                  Best, Chris
                  So do I and I think that is a very good idea. There are many generations
                  of fakes of this skull. Fakes of fakes even, and I am still discovering
                  different ones all the time. The fronts are quite good, only let down by
                  one major although small flaw.

But the backs come marked as everything from SS 360/42, SS 373/43,
                  SS 475/42, etc. to M1/17 and M1/52, and come in all types of metals
                  with all sorts of elaborate prong attachments. Somebody has been very
                  busy over the years.

Comment

The skulls marked 360, 475, m1/17, etc etc etc are not the same as the ges gesch skulls but close.
                    Last edited by Sayle F; 09-02-2004, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The best Assmann skull reproductions are the unmarked ones that are made of the proper zinc material and have the proper silver paint-like finish.
                      These have three wide prongs that are not separate to the skull itself, and they stick out from the outer rim, (skull and pins are one piece of metal).
                      These look very close to the originals, on the front,
                      but the incorrect pins and the lack of the "GES.GESCH." marking gives these away easily. You cam still tell them from the front, but the casting is very, very good and the materials are almost perfect.
                      Best, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Sayle F
                        The skulls marked 360, 475, m1/17, etc etc etc are not the same as the ges gesch skulls but close.
                        IMO they are close because they were molded from an original. Thank
                        you for deleting the differences, which were probably made to hide or
                        correct casting flaws.

Yes Chris, I've seen some of those. I don't believe any original skulls
                        ever had edge-tabs.

Comment

ss skull secret;

dear sir...would you please explain the "secret" of the ss skulls mentioned in the forum?,,,,you can reply to me privately to my email adress & be assurred of my confidentiality also on this subject.....thanks....robert(militarymania)....box carbob3945@yahoo.com

Comment

Sorry Dude!

If your addressing me, I'm afraid you'll have to do your own homework
                            here. Just take one of the fakes referenced above - you can find them
                            everywhere - and compare it to the original which Fred posted. You'll
                            see the differences for yourself!

Oh yah! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Look at these pics
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X