M43 trap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M43 trap question

How common is it for Bevo traps to be hand sewn to SS m43 caps?

I personally like to see them stichted to the cap.... than you know for sure that the cap was a real SS item.

Comment

Well, In my opinion machine sewing does not mean anything. I have found m-43 caps with expertly re-sewn liners. These were opened and then re-sewn to allow the machine sewing of the insignia. The only way to see the re-sewing was with high-power magnification. Machine-sewn insignia therefore can also be post-war added.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Jerry, of course I know these trapezoids can be sewn back on very easily. But, still I would like to see a machine sewn trapezoid to a cap and investigate it further on.

Comment

Thanks for the answers. I think however I have not posed the question well. Let me rephrase it r.

In the experience of everyone out there. How often do you find m43 caps with the insignia hand sewn on , not machine. We are not talking about restored hats here. Maybe , how often have you found right ones done that way when you have bought directly from veterans. What is the percentage of hand sewn to machine sewn?

Comment

Hi, According The Collectors Guide to Cloth 3rd Reich Military Headgaer, 90% of all WSS field cap insigna regardless the model, was professionally hand-applied (blz 140).

Regards,

Rene

Comment

Originally posted by Kuifje69
              Hi, According The Collectors Guide to Cloth 3rd Reich Military Headgaer, 90% of all WSS field cap insigna regardless the model, was professionally hand-applied (blz 140).

Regards,

Rene
              Hi Rene and everyone else,

I do not totaly agree. Please correct me if wrong...
              On page 189 of the same book... (part about M43 caps and trap insigna...)

Insigna:
              point 3. Oxide green (or black for panzer) Trap with combined eagle and cockade... ...... The Trap was meant to replace the 2 piece version. This insigna type was machine sewn to the cap.

Ain't it so that 2 piece insigna is textbook (I hate that expression...) hand applied and Trap insigna textbook machine applied??

Best regards,
              Gerd V

Comment

I agree with Gerd, I think that the hand applied insignia is in regard to the death skull, but not the trapezoids.

In my opinion M43 caps had mostly machine sewn trapezoid insignia on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                  I agree with Gerd, I think that the hand applied insignia is in regard to the death skull, but not the trapezoids.

In my opinion M43 caps had mostly machine sewn trapezoid insignia on them.
                  Wilkins book shows several Army traps that are hand done and I noticed on an old post on this form Gary Wood shows a green one from his collection that appears to have been hand sewn to a cap.

Comment

They can be either machine or hand sewn. I would give it 70/30 in favour of machine stitching from a factory, If it is hand sewn and done during the period, trust me you will know that it was NOT recently applied as it 'sucks' into the material of the cap.. Same applies to machine stitching it becomes very tight.

Glenn
                    Last edited by Glenn McInnes; 08-29-2004, 04:18 PM.
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X