Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Cloth for Reference

Guys,
    At this year's MAX a friend brought his newly accquired treasure to show off. He'd been chasing a local vet for years, but the guy would never sell. Sadly, the guy recently died, but left his war souveneers to my friend. Since SS stuff is not my primary area of collecting, it was my first time to have an "in hand" inspection of the construction techniques employed. Anyway, he let me take some photos and I thought you guys might like to see some of the results. Sorry the quality of the photos is somewhat lacking, but trying to take good photos in the MAX showhall is near impossible,

First up is the cufftitle obverse & reverse.
    Attached Files
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Here's what I really found fascinating. The stitching on the inside was so fine that it was virtually invisible. I took several hi-res photos trying to show it, but it just wasn't visible.
    Attached Files

Comment

That was a "salty" one

Comment

The sleeve eagle was damaged, but the stitching was machine done.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Larry

Some nice pieces,

I believe these were up at an auction this past spring, in Texas.

I was one of three phone bidders and dropped out around $1700?
          Not sure what they went for. The bird you pictured i believe is under the
          bird shown in my pic. I remembered the auctioneer told me one bird had some
          wing damage.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's got to be the same one because it has the dried booger on it. I've got check with my friend as I feel certain he doesn't know this. He's talked about this piece for years. My friend is from North Carolina so I've got to try and get "The Rest of the Story".

Comment

Salty indeed .......
              Regards
              David

Comment

I am a bit lost...

Are they Vet or auction aquiered

The dried booger is just amazing does add a touch to it

Cheers

Emil

Comment

These are great cut off's, would love to know the back story if there is one. Keep us posted.

Comment

I also bid on this fine set, and lost. There were several of other pieces of insignia with this set, most from the same uniform.

It was a regular auction, and the auctioneer vaguely knew the consigner. Great stuff and I hope the group remains together.

regards, Robert

Comment

The "dried booger" appears to be what remains of an insect egg sack...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
                        Here's what I really found fascinating. The stitching on the inside was so fine that it was virtually invisible. I took several hi-res photos trying to show it, but it just wasn't visible.
                        Thank you Larry for posting these nice truly 'been-there' pieces. What I also find fascinating is a completely worn-off condition of the wool with no nap remaining, shows that they really did wear them to their very end.

Comment

Originally posted by waffendude View Post
                          Hi Larry

Some nice pieces,

I believe these were up at an auction this past spring, in Texas.

Just to set the record straight, aparently I misunderstood. My friend said that he was given a Hitler Jugend cufftitle and helmet from the vet. He won't tell me exactly where these came from, but it sure appears they came from an auction. Unfortunately I have no idea of the story behind these. He does have the second eagle posted earlier. Unless he just didn't bring it to the show, I 'm assuming this is all he has.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                            The "dried booger" appears to be what remains of an insect egg sack...
                            Can't say for sure, but in hand it looked like the guy wiped his nose with his sleeve and left a 60 year old booger behind.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Is that really a booger? I thought it was like a moth hole or something.

Some really fantastic looking pieces, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X