No announcement yet.

Gypsies at Tulsa Show again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never heard of Irish Gypsies/Travellers/Itinerants/Tinkers being involved in the Militaria trade.

Historically they used to offer knife sharpening & trades like that and sell carpets around the doors that kind of thing. Also horse trading. I remember as a kid my mam was buying a carpet from them and when it was unrolled (before paying for it) there was a BIG hole in the middle of it - so you would need to be careful dealing with them in my opinion.

A sizable component are involved in criminality (I'd say nowhere near as large as is the case with the Roma- just my opinion).

They also tend to be barred from most pubs in Ireland (even though this is technically illegal). If there is a traveller funeral the bars in surrounding towns will simply close for a day or so. They frequently have rows which involve shotguns and slash hooks & cause structural damage to premises and generally you would not want to mess with them.

It's common knowledge that if there are thefts from a building site the first place to look is the nearest 'knacker camp' / Halting site (in addition to local car boot sales etc).

The more visible problem in Ireland at the moment is Roma gypsies who are entirely different.

I have heard of Irish gypsies operating in france and the nordics offering building (driveway pathing and roofing) services which they either do not complete or do a botched job on and overcharge.

Never known any to have any interest in militaria though I suppose if it is stolen goods I would not be surprised. There was a genealogy programme on about a year or so ago and if I remember correctly the Irish Gypsies are not related to the Roma strain at all and are in fact among the oldest bloodlines in Ireland. I could be wrong on that but that is my recollection of that DNA/Genealogy tv show.

Comment

HAHA...its funny...there is an older guy (70's) who sets up at my local gun show that always raves about the Tulsa Gun Show and how he always gets great stuff from people walking in the door. He has got a few good items but for the most part he is always showing me some crappy RK or DKiG with an SS engraving that is just total crap. Mostly everthing at is table is complete garbage, especially his medals and badges.

I dont tell him what he doesnt want to hear because he is one of those people that just doesnt believe in the internet...because we have different opinions other than his....which costs him money I would assume.

I feel bad for the guy but I dont try to tell someone who has been collecting for 40-50 years that they just waisted a butt load of money.

Regards,
      Chris G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X