Hi Guys,

Care to check this for me please?

Reverse

Comment

Close up (reverse)

Comment

...and the front up close.

Comment

I was selling these as fakes to tourists back in the 1960's for 10 cents each. They were made by a little old lady named Eunice who also made fake V2 rocket engines for the kids.

I'm afraid to say any more because she disappeared one night mysteriously after winning a spaghetti cook-off. Her house was burned to the ground, but there were never any human remains found.

Comment

Hi Curt,

I'm a bit confused by your comments. How can we tell it is fake? Maybe my sense of humour (which is normally quite good) is lacking due to the amount of "duff stuff" I have aquired as of late. How does this diamond differ from the one you have pictured elsewhere on the forum?

Cheers
            Steve

Originally posted by CurtD
            I was selling these as fakes to tourists back in the 1960's for 10 cents each. They were made by a little old lady named Eunice who also made fake V2 rocket engines for the kids.

I'm afraid to say any more because she disappeared one night mysteriously after winning a spaghetti cook-off. Her house was burned to the ground, but there were never any human remains found.

Comment

I dont know what scares me more - Eunice or the SD diamond. In truth, its horrible!

Comment

Now, that's a bit clearer.

Ta

Originally posted by Raym'
                I dont know what scares me more - Eunice or the SD diamond. In truth, its horrible!

Comment

Originally posted by Weedy
                  Hi Curt,

I'm a bit confused by your comments. How can we tell it is fake? Maybe my sense of humour (which is normally quite good) is lacking due to the amount of "duff stuff" I have aquired as of late. How does this diamond differ from the one you have pictured elsewhere on the forum?

Cheers
                  Steve
                  I was just having some fun regarding the previous thread and Al.

Actually, as you mention, this looks identical to my SD diamond which I acquired from the late Tony Barto.

So I am going to say that it is good.

Although, it doesn't seem like it would take too much to reproduce these.

Comment

PS Weedy,

I wouldn't dump those armbands just yet. They have some warning flags, but they are of much better quality than 99% of the fakes out there. I think you should send them for a hands-on inspection to someone who really knows armbands. Bill Shea perhaps.

Comment

Hi Weedy, I can see you're heart is into ss cloth collecting. Please don't make the mistakes that most of us did when we started collecting. You have to go very slow and find a circle of true friends that will teach you the difference between repro and real. This forum is a good start, and buy as many text books as your pocket can bear. There's quite a few good ones out today as compared to years ago.
                      Lastly, don't ever think that because you buy from a big name dealer that you won't get ripped off, that happens both willfully and mistakenly. The truth is in their return policy.
                      As to your SD diamond when I was at the Max about two or three years ago there was enough of them for sale to fit a company, after that I just decided to stay away from them, as you see it's an easy diamond to repro. Maybe some veteran collectors like Gary or Bob have a secret to discern the difference, I can't ergo my passing on them. Best of luck Sonny

Comment

armbands, SD diamond

As was said, don't throw your stuff away yet. Your party armband looks to be original,but I have some concerns about the SS armband. Also, there seem to have been a relatively limited number of SD diamond producers, so it really needs to be compared to known original examples. Most of the fakes I've seen have been pretty bad.
                        Erich
                        Festina lente!

Comment

Gary, would you care to weigh in on the SD diamond?

Comment

For what it's worth, the diamond looks OK to me.

Comment

This is a very simple badge to copy, but as of yet i have not seen one without error's in one way or another, this Raute looks OK to me, it has an unusual embroidery pattern but it is not one i have seen on fakes,
                              cheers,
                              Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X