SS Uniform "Customs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Uniform "Customs"

My question is a little complicated. And will have a uniform slant - just give the scenario a chance to develop.

Firstly for the following SS Panzer Divisions:

Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
    Das Reich
    Totenkopf
    SS-Polizei Division
    Wiking
    Hohenstaufen
    Frundsberg
    Hitlerjugend

All had a SS Panzer regiment and an SS Artillery regiment.

Did all have Assault Guns (i.e. Sturmgeschütz) in the Artillery regiments?

(Here comes the uniform part - the real question)

For the divisions that had Assault Guns, I would assume the soldiers in these vehicles would be wearing the "standard" SS Assault Gun Wrapper - correct? Did they necessarily also wear their respective division's cufftitle and ciphers on the shoulder boards (If applicable)?

I am attempting to create a display of Panzer/Assault Gunners from these divisions. I will choose a single particular soldier from each division's Panzer or Assault Gunner' regiments that won the Ritterkreuz (or higher) and replicate (with real items) his uniform, decorations, etc. I have been able to document the uniforms for LAH. Michael Whittmann wore a Sturm Wrapper early in his service and later of course switched to a Black SS Panzer Wrapper when he commanded the Tiger. There are many photos documenting the way he looked and his medals, cufftitles, board ciphers, etc.

But for several of the other divisions it is not so easy. I have seen several photos of the Totenkopf Division for example - I would say only about 1/3 of the men are wearing cufftitles.

I have the large French/German book by Fürbringer on Hohenstaufen. On the opening spread 6 Sturm crews are pictured and not one man is wearing a cufftitle. Farther into the book the majority of the panzer men do seem to be wearing the correct title. Also I can only find several photos of men wearing the number "9" cipher and they seem to be the middle to high ranks.

Can anyone give some insights into the proper way each division would outfit their soldiers. I would like these uniforms to be as historically correct as possible.

Thanks,
    Rich Moran

Hi Rich,

This is confusing. To begin with, all of these W-SS panzer divisions would have had a Panzer-Jaeger (Anti-tank) battalion with two batteries of assault guns - at least according to the Gleiderung (organization chart) for Panzer-Division 44 (see Jentz, volume 2, page 159). There would have been no assault guns in the panzer artillery regiments although one artillery battalion, equipped with self-propelled Hummel and Wespe artillery pieces would have seen its personnel wearing assault gun uniforms.

In truth, the organization varied from unit to unit..in the Ardennes, for example, the LSSAH had a mixed panzer battalion of Mk IVs and Mk Vs plus had attached the Corps Tiger battalion; Das Reich had a mixed battalion of Mk IVs and assault guns and a Mk V battalion as did Hohenstaufen while Frundsberg and Hitlerjugend had a single mixed Mk IV and Mk V battalion each.

To add to the confusion, the one panzer-grenadier regiment in each Division that had one of its battalions mounted on half-tracks would also have had six Grille 150mm self-propelled guns attached to its Heavy Weapons Company - and these fellows would have worn assault gun uniforms too. And it is equally likely that the FLAK platoons of the panzer regiments would also have worn assault gun uniforms as well - mounted as they were on Mk IV chassis. And finally, the Division Reconnaissance battalion would also have seen its personnel wear a mix of panzer and assault gun uniforms...

In any case, to answer your specific question:

a. cufftitles should have been worn for each division
    b. no unit cyphers would have been worn except for the LAH (and by those LAH personnel transferred into HJ before that division was awarded its cufftitle); "A" and "P" cyphers could have been worn by reconnaisance and anti-tank units; Divisional numbers (2,3,5, etc) were (IMHO) rarely worn
    c. the collar tab would have been the SS runes less the Totenkopf division

The fact is that by war's end, anything went...but the above regulations would have been roughly followed.

If I can help further, let me know.

Mike

Comment

Hi Rich, I'm not sure all of those Divisions had a sturmgeschutz in order for you to do what you want, you have to get " The German Order of Battle Waffen SS and Other Units" by George F. Nafziger.
      As for cuff titles in 1944 I think it was a matter of whether you had the time to get one on your uniform. Sonny

Comment

Thanks

Thanks very much MikeC and Sonny.

I have been trying to get that book Sonny; but up to now I'm not able to find it. I have Doug at Landmark looking for me.

Mike that is why I was confused. As soon as I thought I was "straightened out" I would find another photo from the archives that would show a different uniform parameters.

What finally through me off was Hohenstaufen. In the large book on the division I could only find 2 photos which MAYBE the men were wearing an "9" on their boards. Anyway I just picked up a set of Obersturmführer Boards from Europe with a "9". And the nine was not added - the pins do not go through to the backing so it was manufactured with the "9" in place. I don't have them in my hand yet but my source is very reliable so I trust they are correct.

Basically from my research, and the comments here, I feel safe building a set of uniforms which regardless of whether its a Panzer Wrapper, or Assault Wrapper, should have the Divisons Cufftitle; and in the case of LAH - either embroidered or metal ciphers.

If anyone else can add some wisdom it would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
        Rich Moran

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X