Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS arm eagles worn on right arm?

Hello all,

I was just browsing through a book about the Battle of Arnhem and came across an interesting photograph. It shows some rather tough captured men of the 10th SS Panzer Division. Behind them are their captors - men of the British 1st Airborne Division. What is interesting about the photo is that the SS arm eagles are worn on the right arm instead of the left. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks from Jack

Are the swastikas going in the correct direction? I have seen photos of WWII German soldiers that make it look as though they are wearing thier awards on the right hand pocket instead of the left and I can only guess that the photos have been published 'inside out'
    Last edited by Raym'; 08-15-2004, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Swastika is going correct way and head of eagle is facing backwards

Looks to me like a normal arm eagle but sewn onto the right sleeve

Comment

Jack,
        My guess without seeing the picture would have been a reversed negative as there is no reason for the eagle to be on that sleeve, can you post the picture?
        cheers,
        Gary

Comment

Gary, you are probably right that the picture is a reversed negative. I know nothing about photography so I wouldn't really know myself!

Anyway, here is the picture. I can't scan it, so I had to take a picture. The quality is lost as well

Thanks from Jack

Comment

Hi Jack, Gary and Raym' are right, the pic was published reversed. Sonny

Comment

Jack Dutton.
              Note how the uniforms is wrapped and button the wrong way, with right flap going over the left flap. That indicate that the photo is reversed.

Cheers.
              Peter Wiking

Comment

Here it is how it should be:

Cheers.
                Peter Wiking
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your help guys!

It was just me being stupid I suppose

Cheers from Jack

Comment

Not stupid at all Jack. Gotta figure it out somehow. Last night on Command Decisions on History Channel they had reversed film footage of Dietl and Hitler at the command table. Happens more often than one would think.

Comment

All it takes to get this is someone loading a negative in upside down when they printed the image. Easy mistake for someone mass producing images that someone else photographed.

--Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X