• Show
Clear All

Shoulder board

Thoughts on this item?

Reverse.

Comment

Thanks for looking!

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has commented on these. Are they really that bad of an example of a Captain's KZ set with the pips removed?

Comment

Hi Eric!

Actually they don't look that bad. However, the piping is made of wool
          and not rayon. While some original SS boards, both officer and EM/NCO,
          undoubtedly had wool waffenfarbe, it does not seem to be the norm.
          Also, around fifteen years ago (give or take), the market was flooded
          with fakes of all types with wool pipings. For this reason many collectors
          won't go near them.

Comment

Hey Brian,

Thanks very much for the info--it is much appreciated!

Comment

Hi Eric,

I agree with Brian that wool piped are less desirable and copies proliferate in both wool and increasingly in rayon(artificial silk) I have a Bona Fide pair of SS LT straps (piped in wool). I actually like your pair as it is obvious where the pips have been the silver looks brighter, and why remove the pips if you are a faker?
              My gut says they are good.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Opinion

Hi Eric, as you can see the wool piping brings out the paranoia in all of us, and in fact, I only have one set of boards with wool piping for that reason. All the rest that I own has rayon, not that that makes them right in and of itself.
                However, with that said, I have to tell you that I like yours and probably would have bought them myself if the price was right.
                Lots of luck with them, Sonny

Comment

Eric,
                  Is the piping wool or felt? It looks like felt to me and is that a moth nip where the piping finish's before the strap ends?

wool and felt piped officers straps were produce and worn period, but collectors seem to like the rayon piped examples more, below is a pair of straps that belong to an officers group i have they are black felt piped although it does not show up that well in this scan, there is a colour difference between the piping and the base as well even though they are both black, when i get more time i will scan they again,
                  cheers,
                  Gary
                  Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Here are some boards I got from Peter Wiking

They are SS sew in boards. His pics.

Comment

Detail pic

Here is the detail pic.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X