Totenkopf Honor ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totenkopf Honor ring

I did what you guys suggested and sent it to Don. Happily, it came back as the real deal. The soldiers name was Thungen given out on 30-6-34 night of the long knives. According to what little research has been done, there was only one SS officer in 1935 with the rank of standartenfuhrer. If anyone could help with additional information, it would really mean a lot. I also got the right story from the seller. He got it from a friend whose father was a US soldier named Driver. Supposedly, the ring was thrown from Thungen out a bus window and hit a Driver in the head in Belgium 1945. So, Thungen must have made it. I guess research might show that to be true. There is a lot of wear to the outside. Think of all the things this ring went through.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I suspect Don also told you how scarce 34 rings are. You've got a reallly nice find there. A researcher by the name of Ross Kellbaugh(SP?) does a lot of SS research and he can perhaps turn up some more information on the owner for you.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
            I suspect Don also told you how scarce 34 rings are. You've got a reallly nice find there. A researcher by the name of Ross Kellbaugh(SP?) does a lot of SS research and he can perhaps turn up some more information on the owner for you.
            Jim
            Westmoreland Research,

Comment

yes,,you got something really nice there!...

Comment

Thüngen = Thuengen is the name.

Could that be Hildolf Freiherr von Thüngen (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58589) ?

Comment

Originally posted by der-hase-fee View Post
                  Thüngen = Thuengen is the name.

Could that be Hildolf Freiherr von Thüngen (http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58589) ?
                  that would be crazy. From what little has been done, there was only one thungen in 1935, which really narrows it down.

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
                    Jim
                    I am not intending to diminish the desirability of of the 34 dated HRs in any way and I think that they are very tough to find in nice condition...this one may be above average, but in my experience they are the single most encountered date of the 30s dated rings and maybe in the high 3 or 4 most encountered dates of any HR.

I don't believe that the numbers awarded for that date are known.

Comment

I'd be happy with any early pattern HR, even a paper pusher would do!

Comment

As everyone said in the first thread,is a good one. I don't know why people insist on still sending every honour ring to DB and paying arpound 300+ with the 2 way post for the 'honour' ? what has he told you that the members here on WAF didn't ?
                        I'd rather use that money to carry out the research by Mike or Ross.
                        There are plenty of knowledgable guys on WAF in different areas who are more than happy to give 'expert' opinions,for free, and I for one often look at Blood Orders for people and enjoy doing so for no charge. There is no need for a COA its a waste of money,IMO.

Also in your first thread you said the story was he took it off a dead German, now in this thread he was hit on the head by the ring as it was thrown out of a bus?
                        Or maybe the bus hit a tree and the officer was thrown out of the bus window and his ring hit the driver in the head!? ;]

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                          As everyone said in the first thread,is a good one. I don't know why people insist on still sending every honour ring to DB and paying arpound 300+ with the 2 way post for the 'honour' ? what has he told you that the members here on WAF didn't ?
                          I'd rather use that money to carry out the research by Mike or Ross.
                          There are plenty of knowledgable guys on WAF in different areas who are more than happy to give 'expert' opinions,for free, and I for one often look at Blood Orders for people and enjoy doing so for no charge. There is no need for a COA its a waste of money,IMO.

Also in your first thread you said the story was he took it off a dead German, now in this thread he was hit on the head by the ring as it was thrown out of a bus?
                          Or maybe the bus hit a tree and the officer was thrown out of the bus window and his ring hit the driver in the head!? ;]
                          Dont get me wrong. without this site, I would be dead in the water a lot of the time. I appreciate everyones expert advice, including on the ring. The thought crossed my mind, if I ever sell it, it would be a plus to have a pedigree to go along with it. As far as the story, I dont know why the seller changed his story, but he did. I dont know why and ss man would get rid of a ring that meant so much. Especially, if he was captured and the US already knew he was SS.

Comment

Jon is correct but if you ever do want to sell the ring a DB COA is a must IMO.

Comment

- if your dealing with a $10K HR whats a few hundred invested with Don and the researchers...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X