SS-Fallschirmjäger Bataillon 600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Fallschirmjäger Bataillon 600

I've just posted this same question on the ID Forum, but since it's an SS unit, I thought it should go here too:

I just came across this thread on a German militaria forum and thought I'd see what you guys think: http://www.militaria-fundforum.de/thread.php?threadid=13249&sid==

I know the SS-Fallschirmjäger Reigment 500 discs that show up from time to time are fakes, but I wonder about this one...

Matt

It seems that now the Moderator of the identity disc section of the Forum has written a response- his opinion is that the disc is fake for a couple of good reasons: firstly, that the italic text is all wrong- that it was only used in some very special cases, SS Fallschirmjäger units not being one of them. Secondly, he says that other than HG units, NO provably authentic Fallschirmjäger discs, from any branch, written in plain language (i.e. not a code number) have been found.

I would add that since this morning ANOTHER one showed up on German ebaY, that the chances of 3 examples of what should be a disc that is rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth, is pretty-much zero- more than suggesting that they are reproductions.

This doesn't in any way suggest that the starter of the thread who says he dug the disc up with a couple of other relics is lying or trying to pull a fast one- but it does illustrate that just because something is found as opposed to bought, doesn't necessarily make it real. Fakes can be discarded too...

Comment

Matt , yes a bad tag. Just as the 500 were found out to be years before.. the finder is either lying or he is a digger who looks for old sites that were 'dug out' with nothing left at the site except for the repros the first original diggers leave for them to find..strange but true!! , G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X