cuff titles good or bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cuff titles good or bad

Hello all.. these are way out of my league so Ive come to you all for your thoughts .My friend picked these up today and is wondering if they are legit or bogus all comments good or bad will be appreciated as they have to go back in a couple of days if bad, also neither of them glowed under blacklight for what its worth
    Thanks
    Ian

Hi Ian, tell your friend to send them both back. They are both well known "Bevo" fakes. This is now a common "wheeze" with crooks to stitch them onto some cloth and sell them this way, as it covers up the errors which can be seen on the reverse. One thing that also stands out to me is the same shade of field grey wool used to stitch the titles to. When have you ever seen two German tunics side by side which are the same in colour? Field grey varied a lot

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ian,I would like to be associated with the comments and assessment of my 'Southern' colleague. I am also the 'proud' owner of one of the so-called 'bookmark' cufftitles,mine's the Deutschland one,but different to this example.Gary Wood is studying it at the moment..perhaps he'd care to show you what the back looks like.

Cheers,Ian (Hulley).

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley
        Ian,I would like to be associated with the comments and assessment of my 'Southern' colleague. I am also the 'proud' owner of one of the so-called 'bookmark' cufftitles,mine's the Deutschland one,but different to this example.Gary Wood is studying it at the moment..perhaps he'd care to show you what the back looks like.

Cheers,Ian (Hulley).
        These aren't bookmark cuff-titles but replicas which are made for re-enactors and the like, and which cost about $20 in the US. My recollection is that the bookmark cuff-titles aren't close attempts to copy originals, and have a quite distinctive look to them with a sans-serif script.

As it happens, I know a US-based businessman has recently bought the rights to the 'Bevo-Wuppertal' name and is intending to start reproducing Bevo insignia for the re-enactor market, so be warned!

Comment

As already has been said above both are fake cuff titles, both have or are sold by crazy crow.

One other thing, Deutschland was not produced period in BeVo format for some reason.

Ian,
          the title i have here of yours is the book mark type which has a white backing, and also in gothic script, the ones above have the salt and pepper back, they are not all the same the band weave on the Totenkopf pictured above different to the "D" band, they also do a Germania in the safe type of weave, which when you see a picture of it or hold it has a V appearance.
          cheers,
          Gary

Comment

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated.The faker even went ao far as gluing these into a photo album page and the ripping them out to have the paper residue on the back . Thanks again

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by I Marotto
              Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated.The faker even went ao far as gluing these into a photo album page and the ripping them out to have the paper residue on the back . Thanks again

Ian
              These guys are real arteests. Cuff titles that are sewn on to cloth always make me wary, but these are easy to spot as fakes, even from the front.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X