Ukrainian Collar Tabs (Waffen SS?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukrainian Collar Tabs (Waffen SS?)

I'm told these are a Ukrainian formation's collar tabs under the Waffen SS. Can anyone confirm that, perhaps provide some detail as well as comment on the tabs themselves?

Thanx in advance for any comments, RC
    Attached Files

cropped closer
    Attached Files

Comment

A couple of questions that come to mind -

Would the piping indicate officer rank?

Any clue on the rank?

Would these tabs be worn with shoulderboards similar to German or more similar to Russian?

Comment

IF they are real they woudn't be for the Waffen-SS.
        The SS had the rampant lion for the 14th division Ukrainian SS members.. These were a tab worn by POA and YBB and probably some other Eastern troops mixed in there..

Comment

What indicates the rank of this Ukrainian tab? The tresse style?

Only noticed one similar one on another thread - below - which I'm guessing would be enlisted?

Any thoughts on how rare these tabs may be or a WAG on value?

Thanx, R
          Attached Files

Comment

whether its POA or YBB,, plain tabs white or silver bar, gray button for non-com.
            Silver bar , button, and the piping is for all officers,,and everything in gold would be for General..
            Again IF they are authentic for me I consider them rare.. Price depends where you are. By me they'd go for at least $200.

Comment

I don't believe these are originals, I'm sorry to say. The rough grain in the wool is not what I'd expect, the wire twist on the edges looks replica, and the tress in the center is not LW or Army. It almost looks like the post-war shoulderboard tress on civic boards.

Even the button doesn't look like right with it's aluminum finish and rough stripling.

I also don't like seeing these backed. A raw cardboard or treated material would be more typical. What is being hidden? Why a backing?

With these type tabs, I lean heavily on original materials and known construction techniques. Since they are so easy to construct, there is little to help authenticate them BUT how they are made, and what they are made from. If these were stripped down to basic components, I would vote against them being original.

But I'd love to be wrong. These tabs are rare, when original.

regards, Robert

Comment

I agree with Robert's comments!

Comment

Pondering Richard's comments I must admit I have to agree. Why cover the reverse when that was never done?

Would like to thank everyone for the comments - I very much appreciate the info!

Comment

I agree with Robert that the covered backs is usually a bad sign for such tabs. The photo that was posted with the tabs is also not original - this photo was first published in a russian book about two years ago, I believe it to be a repro as well.

P.S. Of interesting note is that in all the photos of Ukrainian WH volunteers that I've seen - I never actually saw them wear such tabs or the Ost-boards. I am sure they did wear them at some point, but for the most part it was either nothing, or just standart german type litzen.

For example:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X