My collection of Jewish stars of David

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My collection of Jewish stars of David

Hi. Just wanted to share with you my collection of Jewish stars of David, which were used to identify the Jews all over Europe during the Third Reich.

First one is a well known one: the "Jude" star, used in Germany and Poland among other countries.
    Attached Files

Then comes the "Jood" star, used to identify dutch jews.
    Attached Files

Comment

Then we have the "J" star, which identified the Belgium jews.
      Attached Files

Comment

We also have the "Juif" star of David, used in France
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Gernika81; 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

We also have the HZ star, used in Slovakia.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Gernika81; 12-23-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

And finally these hand made stars in metal found in Kaliningrad / Königsberg. I hope you like it!
            Attached Files

Comment

Bad vibes on the first one. Could any of these be the first unquestionable one in private hands that I have seen in my 30 years of collecting? Highly and sadly doubt that.

Comment

And why the backing on the dutch star? These wee sold on rolls and just cut off as needed, why would somebody put a backing on it?

Comment

Originally posted by J.Warren View Post
                  Bad vibes on the first one. Could any of these be the first unquestionable one in private hands that I have seen in my 30 years of collecting? Highly and sadly doubt that.
                  Your kidding right?These are definately out there,and are definately on this forum and 100% real.Ofcourse there are many more fakes,but 30 years is a long time to not see a real one,it takes about 2 minutes to see a real one on WAF.I cant say on above ones,but many collectors have real ones here.

Comment

Stars

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                    And why the backing on the dutch star? These wee sold on rolls and just cut off as needed, why would somebody put a backing on it?
                    The backing was common as the stars were frequently moved from one clothing article to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm View Post
                      Not from a roll , but from sheets .
                      Cloth backing was in fact already recommended after their first issue , in the " Joodsche Weekblad " of May 8th 1942 . Anyone who has handled an unissued original would understand why . These are extremely thin = as cheaply made as possible ..
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Winkelman; 12-25-2011, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Here's what such a sheet looked like .. >> http://deoorlog.nps.nl/page/mappen/7...afl=5&d=780392

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wewelsburg View Post
                          Your kidding right?These are definately out there,and are definately on this forum and 100% real.......

No I'm not kidding. Do you know how many threads in this forum in regards to rare items start out with "I know it's real because I know the the very barn in Austria this came out of and have pictures of it..." or some form of that quote? A few thread pages letter 3 other fake eamples and proof of the item being fake are shown. Original stars are very, VERY rare, and as I've said, I've not seen one that can be assured 100% original anywhere in private hands. Surely it does indeed exist, but I've yet to run across it. If its in these forums, I'd be happy for someone to show it to me, because I'd love to see one with the provenance that proves me wrong. PLEASE prove me wrong.

Best wishes,
                          Joel

Comment

Well I did search these entire forums for the term Star of David without using quotes. Got quite a few Japanese hits surprisingly, more than on the patches in question anyway. Here is what I found out about these from previous comments.......

All holocaust items seem to be treated with the greatest distrust by collectors. If the item is not documented somehow, you will have a hard time convincing anybody that it is authentic.

JL

Sad to say, but you're spot on, there. When there are people out there taking very thorough measures to "fake" an item, there's undoubtedly going to be that mistrust. And the second that anything related to the Holocaust pops up, it always demands a pretty penny, so no doubt some crooks will try and capitalize on that. All it takes is someone with some period cloth and ink, and it becomes a whole lot more difficult to prove that a piece IS authentic, rather than to prove that it ISN'T.

For your sake, Frans, I hope that it's real, but I personally wouldn't risk my own money on something this specific and unique unless I were sure about it, and that almost always means good, solid documentation.

can't tell if it is original or not, but I think that pieces like this are always to be treated with suspicion if there's no rock-solid provenance

Comment

I dont think original stars are that rare, but I do think it must be extremely difficult to seperate the few real ones from the sea of fake ones.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X