WIKING TRUMPET BANNER on Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIKING TRUMPET BANNER on Auction

Hey kids,this is on Craig's auction site,any thoughts on it?It's been in his own collection awhile.Is this a known piece here?I have never seen a skull attributed to WIKING,nor seen a wartime one of this type.Im not a flag guy,but just want to see what you guys think.

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...Trumpet-Banner

Banner

Originally posted by wewelsburg View Post
    Hey kids,this is on Craig's auction site,any thoughts on it?It's been in his own collection awhile.Is this a known piece here?I have never seen a skull attributed to WIKING,nor seen a wartime one of this type.Im not a flag guy,but just want to see what you guys think.

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...Trumpet-Banner
    For $5000, I thinks Craigs saying he has doubts, but is offering it out as is.
    Peter

Comment

I see no sign of doubts by his wording. If he has doubts, which i don't think so based on what he said, he should just step up and say it, which i would imagine he would.

Comment

Wewelsburg, sorry for hijacking the thread briefly, but what do you guys think of the gray Handschar fez that is also being auctioned?

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...d-Grey-Version

I hope it's just a camera problem since the color seems off, plus the stitching inside of the fez seems quite different from what is usually seen (green thread on the inside, in a linear pattern). Also, gray fezzes seem to have unique pattern where the sweatband attaches (different than maroon fezzes from what I have seen). This is what I meant by the above comment and it's the same on my example at home:
        http://www.collectorsmilitaria.com/a...fez_080510.htm

Additionally, the description is inaccurate, as it implies that gray fezzes were worn only by the unit's German leadership instead of the entire division.

Comment

Signs of doubt

Originally posted by J.Warren View Post
          I see no sign of doubts by his wording. If he has doubts, which i don't think so based on what he said, he should just step up and say it, which i would imagine he would.
          Of course there are signs of doubt in his wording. $5000 says it all.

Comment

Fez

Originally posted by V.I.D. View Post
            Wewelsburg, sorry for hijacking the thread briefly, but what do you guys think of the gray Handschar fez that is also being auctioned?

http://www.cgmauctions.com/detail.as...d-Grey-Version

I hope it's just a camera problem since the color seems off, plus the stitching inside of the fez seems quite different from what is usually seen (green thread on the inside, in a linear pattern). Also, gray fezzes seem to have unique pattern where the sweatband attaches (different than maroon fezzes from what I have seen). This is what I meant by the above comment and it's the same on my example at home:
            http://www.collectorsmilitaria.com/a...fez_080510.htm

Additionally, the description is inaccurate, as it implies that gray fezzes were worn only by the unit's German leadership instead of the entire division.
            The insignia is original, but has been re-applied at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
              That's what I thought, thanks for your comment. I guess the strange fez color is due to the camera & lighting.

Comment

Well, I know of one person who can solve our disagreement.

Regards,
                Joel

Comment

Exactly Peter!.

J.Warren this is an auction item,starting at a low bid.That in itself speaks of its possible questionability,as Peter has stated.If it was a one looker banner with provenance it would have a high price tag and be on his main site.Craig has a good deal of knowledge,but also knows we do to,and acts accordingly in how and where things are sold,after all he is a dealer!
                  .Auction items tend to be a bit more scrutinized as they tend to be more questionable,its the nature of things.You could get something good cheap or something bad and pay alot.
                  Anyways,again V.I.D its teh nature of the beast auction items come mostly on consignment and are usually things people have trouble getting rid of,or want to sell fast.You just have to know what your looking at.The assessment of fez her I agree with,replaced insignia but good.Not sure on fez itself,not my area.

Comment

Anyways,again V.I.D its teh nature of the beast auction items come mostly on consignment and are usually things people have trouble getting rid of,or want to sell fast.You just have to know what your looking at.The assessment of fez her I agree with,replaced insignia but good.Not sure on fez itself,not my area.

I would also like to hear more about banner, but since it's not my area of collecting (and pricewise these days) I could not tell more but to continue following this thread.

Comment

Exactly Peter!.

J.Warren this is an auction item,starting at a low bid.That in itself speaks of its possible questionability,as Peter has stated.If it was a one looker banner with provenance it would have a high price tag and be on his main site.Craig has a good deal of knowledge,but also knows we do to,and acts accordingly in how and where things are sold,after all he is a dealer!
                      .Auction items tend to be a bit more scrutinized as they tend to be more questionable,its the nature of things.You could get something good cheap or something bad and pay alot.
                      Exactly,Just look at Liz Taylor's jewlery,all reproduction without a doubt.. OFW always has an answer on such items,lets hear it.

Comment

about SS tb's ???

Originally posted by DR DOLCH View Post
                        ...OFW always has an answer on such items, lets hear it.
                        Hello DD:
                        Thanks for the invite to comment, but I never did collect
                        tb's. But if I did, my preference would be for the winking
                        eye type, with thicker fringe. Likewise, since Wiking was
                        formed in 1941 from a cadre of SS Infantry Regiment
                        Germania,
                        I would have expected a better looking tb
                        skull, & more distinctive bone ends, etc. BTETO - OFW

(below) CGA # 887, and further down a superb III/SS3 tb.
                        <sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference"></sup>
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Until someone can show an original wartime photo of this being used, it´s a pure fantasy product IMO. Doesn´t even look "German" at all to me.

Comment

Peter, I have a doubt now, maybe I don't see the pictures clearly, but the TK looks strange.
                            Is it ok?

Comment

Fez

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
                              Peter, I have a doubt now, maybe I don't see the pictures clearly, but the TK looks strange.
                              Is it ok?
                              Hi TK,
                              In post #4, there are 2 links with 2 different fez's. You are right, I am not a fan of the TK that looks re-applied with frayed edges. The eagle looks good however.
                              Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X