X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this overcoat good?

hello fellow collectors
    As a dagger collector I don´t know much about uniforms,
    just wanted to throw this in for opinions?

any info regarding this overcoat welcome,

cheers

Emil
    Attached Files

more,,
    Attached Files

Comment

and last one with repair
      Attached Files

Comment

I think it's an original wachtmantel, most probably not used in the field.
        Can't comment on the ss eagle stitching or the repairs but looks somewhat suspicious.

Comment

The big "trick" now it to sew SS insignia on regular and fake items and then remove it to try and increase value. I have seen camo used for repairs and this could have been done by a POW or postWar as well. Hard to say. The base jacket is original but looks modified at the collar area of the lapel and shortened but it is hard to see in the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
            The big "trick" now it to sew SS insignia on regular and fake items and then remove it to try and increase value. I have seen camo used for repairs and this could have been done by a POW or postWar as well. Hard to say. The base jacket is original but looks modified at the collar area of the lapel and shortened but it is hard to see in the image.
            I agree

Comment

thank guys,

I will try to get some better pictures,

I know that the one posted are not the best.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by zozole; 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Postwar modified for civilian wear, no doubt. Looks like it might have been dyed as well.

Comment

Yep unfortunately modified with a civilian collar....it probably had civilian buttons at one point, now exchanged for military ones.
                  The shoulderstrap loops were also cut off in the process...too bad!

Based on the E38 pre-war date it probably started life as a M36 with dark green collar (???)
                  Did they even have wachmantels with handwarmer pockets that early? If not, its been modified from a regular greatcoat!

No doubt an original coat which was recycled post war!

Comment

Okey talked to the guy,any special parts or areas that news to be fotographed?
                    Or is it better to leave this one due to no collector value?

Comment

I would not buy it and wait for another one that is not so heavily altered and questionable.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X