Greatcoat info please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatcoat info please.

Hello fellow collectors, i was wondering if SS troops did wear greatcoats (wachmantel) with french cuffs also? Or did they only wear the model without french cuffs??? If they did wear the model with cuffs also, does anyone have a picture of that? Kind regards.

Originally posted by cyclids5 View Post
    Hello fellow collectors, i was wondering if SS troops did wear greatcoats (wachmantel) with french cuffs also? Or did they only wear the model without french cuffs??? If they did wear the model with cuffs also, does anyone have a picture of that? Kind regards.
    The cuffless overcoats (SS pattern) are mid-late war. Earlier issued kit consisted of standard Heer pattern coats...with french cuffs.

Just like their tunics, earlier they used Heer patterns and later typical SS patterns (2 hole as opposed to 3 hole belt support example),
    so both patterns were worn thru-out the war. So both are fine, one pattern is just typical SS.
    If you are looking for an early war impression you'll need an overcoat with french cuffs!

PS: your thread is titled Great coat, now there is a difference between wachmantels (watch coats) and great coats/over-coats.
    The Watch coats are fur-lined, oversized, very heavy and intended for static guard duty. Those also have handwarmer pockets,
    but late war SS greatcoats (lighter, with just a simple blanket lining and sometimes come with built in hood) also have handwarmer pockets,
    but I would not call those watchcoats (Wachmantels) unless its considered an economy version!

here's mine (cuff title pinned on for effect, not usually worn that much late war on great coats!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reaction Nick.
      I have a coat with french cuffs and side pockets at the breast and 2 lower pockets. It also does have a built in hood and blanket lining and is dated 44. So this is only for WH if i understand? Best wishes, Gunter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X