Clear All

A-SS visor chin strap

Hello

please have a look at :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=545524

thoughts will be welcome

thanks

P.
    Straßburger / When in doubt do without...
    - Looking for : SS TK «Oberbayern» flatwire CT.

Strap

I think it is OK.

Comment

thanks Peter,

but see below RZM regulation... 25 th edition of december the 3rd 1938...
      Attached Files

Comment

a close up...
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting

What is odd is the black tuchmuetze tag added into a picture and write- up on SS cap straps. Are u saying the strap should have an L/10? I am not at home to research, but what is L/4? The physical make-up of the strap seems OK.

Comment

If I refer to Derek of Canada is "L4" the designation for saddle makers.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=545524

But the first time I saw this item, i had a really good feeling about it !

Even with "L4" marking, I like the stamping design, but this damn... RZM regulation extract of 1938 makes me doubt...
            Last edited by Pascal Bernhard; 10-04-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

If we follow the same presumption as described in the book . . . maybe in 1945, the manufacturer overlooked (or maybe was no longer required to use?) the "L10" to designate the ability to/authorization for making chinstraps (but the again, why still use the "L" ??) . . . and the "4" still signifies the same manufacturer (Gottschalk & Cie), and the "45" is still the date of manufacture?

If this strap was truly made in 1945, regulations could have been overlooked . . . or simply not even in effect any longer.

What I wonder now is, how many straps were still being made for Alg. EM SS caps in 1945? I suppose there were a few . . .

Outside of the (presumably) unorthodox (?) ink stamping, I think it is still a very nice band . . .
              Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I totally doubt that is a date.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                  I totally doubt that is a date.
                  I somewhat agree . . . just tossing out another thought to stimulate further conversation . . . since nobody else has the answer yet, why not?

Comment

Example

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                    I somewhat agree . . . just tossing out another thought to stimulate further conversation . . . since nobody else has the answer yet, why not?
                    M1/52
                    Thank God that is not a date.

Comment

In one of the other threads which feature this chinstrap I doubted this chinstrap because of the saddlemaker designation of the L4 stamp. However the stamp itself looks so authentic, as does the strap, that I believe it is genuine.
                      My explanation for the stamp is this:
                      The RZM directive from 1938 is announcing a new category of stamping, L10, for these chinstraps and and identifying them for use by the SS. Prior to that there were 7 categories of leather items licensed by the RZM, none of which were specifically for chinstraps.
                      So, prior to 1938 an order for leather chinstraps would logically go to the manufacturer most suited to making a leather strap with buckles and straps, i.e. a saddlemaker. They would then use their official RZM code, L4, to indicate the strap was an RZM authorized piece.
                      So, simply put, it is most likely an RZM strap made in 1936 or 1937.
                      Derek
                      Last edited by derek; 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by derek View Post
                        So, simply put, it is most likely an RZM strap made in 1936 or 1937.
                        Derek
                        .........by Hersteller # 45.

Comment

... after a "in hand" examination:
                          is this this chinstrap IMO a period item, L4 is used for "Sattlermeister" = sadle maker but also "Handwerkbetriebe" => leather Handicraft enterprises and # 45 is the maker code number (as already said by Peter) !

see below an extract of the RZM regulation of 1936 for the SA canteen strap,

both were autorized : RZM L5/.... /.... and RZM L4/...MAKER../ ... YEAR...

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the constructive inputs !

P.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pascal Bernhard; 10-05-2011, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                            M1/52
                            Thank God that is not a date.
                            Ok, Peter . . . now maybe you can invoke God to explain why there is not a date stamped on this strap - in all the information I see being referenced, the marks still indicate a date being included in the stamping process.

For what it's worth, I think it is a great strap . . . and the unorthodox stamping (that appears to be lacking a date) does not bother me - as it might at first glance with some of the "purists" out there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
                              For what it's worth, I think it is a great strap . . . and the unorthodox stamping does not bother me . . . even if it does not have a date.
                              agree

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X