Ss m43 cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss m43 cap

Im selling my SS cap on E-stand and had a request to start a thread for it.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=541535

Late war brownish recycled wool + nice Italian liner material!
    Can't go wrong with that! Its a beauty!

Comment

Thanks Nick!

Comment

not a trapiziod insignia i'd call original
        could be wrong, [has been known]
        if it's a good one, i'd like to save in my files
        maybe we can hear more from some others
        wisches

Comment

i like this one.

Comment

Interior shot of front of cap which shows no stitching coming through liner. 100% Factory applied insignia.
            Attached Files

Comment

Found a very similar example of the TK skull with very slight differences. This example is currently posted on Oakleaf Militaria and this photo belongs to Kristian Anderson. Simply using it for comparison.
              Attached Files

Comment

Traps

Both of the last 2 traps do NOT look original to me. I've posted an example of one I believe to be authentic. No comparison, as you'll agree.
                Attached Files

Comment

Trap

Original examples of the green wool trap are quite rare and heavily faked. Original examples DO vary, as you've seen on the forum, but be careful.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I definitely agree with that comparison. I believe in this cap 100%. It came from a good and trusted source. On my example The eagle's beak and the configuration of the skull are a bit different. I also feel that the skull on this cap had a bit of mis-stitching on the factory machine as you can see from the earlier photos, there is a little black bead of thread towards the left on the head. If a repro trap, I would expect it to be just a spot on copy without flaws. To me this flaw helps back up its originality and when looking at the mothing on the interior and stains and no sign whatsoever of insignia being put on post war... it all fits into place for me. We all know to "buy the piece, not the story". The vet was in the 42 Inf Division(Rainbow Division). His unit was responsible for liberating Dachau and around the same time is when he got the cap and collar tab. The SS man had the rank of scharfuher. The information he gave meets up with actual unit history.

Comment

Traps

These green wool traps are difficult to authenticate because there are so few examples to compare to. Not only that - but they all seem to vary. Neither of those 2 traps impress me, but I could be wrong. I'd hate to condemn a piece that turns out to be OK. We'll see what others say.

Comment

Agreed, definitely want others to weigh in . I ran it by bill shea as well. Said it was a different variant than he's usually encountered but it did not really mean anything.

Comment

The trap is Fake just like the examples below
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I appreciate the photos Gary. I have spoken with some other collectors on the trap before and have always came to the agreement that these were very late war insignias. What in particular on these traps screams fake?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X