SS Skulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Skulls

I have been buying a few SS eagles for the visor caps lately and have found good eagles ranging in price from $250 to $500. and the skulls ranging from $1000 to $1800. Can anyone tell me why the skulls are soooo much more? It does not make sence. I feel the skulls should be in the same price range as the eagles.

Please fill me in.

Thanks!

Originally posted by PANZER1944 View Post
    I feel the skulls should be in the same price range as the eagles.
    I wish that was the case. Skulls are much more sought after than eagles, therefore the group of potential buyers is bigger.

With the exception of some rarer variants the skulls will always be more expensive than the eagles.

Comment

Because the totenkopf is the sign of the Allgemeine & Waffen-SS and the Adler is just modified so it differs from the Wehrmacht and other branches of the German military, the skull itself attached to certain headgear shows the branch, not the eagle !!!

Toetenkopf ( Wikipedia )

In the early days of the NSDAP, Julius Schreck, the leader of the Stabswache (Adolf Hitler's bodyguard unit), adopted the Totenkopf to his unit. This later grew into the Schutzstaffel (SS), which continued to use the Totenkopf as insignia throughout its history.

Comment

I don't know where you are finding eagles that cheap, but I would like to know. It is true, that the skulls bring more and it is also true that they all bring more at shows than on the Internet. When you can hold a nice piece in your hands and have the opportunity to buy it on the spot, most people will want them more and will be willing to pay more in that situation. At the last couple of SOS shows, there were SS eagles selling for around $1,000.00 and some of them weren't even the rarer ones. I value the common eagles around $400.00 - $500.00, but I would easily pay $1,500.00 or more for a nice aluminum M1/52 eagle. That is a very hard eagle to find, but I have paid over $3,500.00 for some of the rarest skulls. I think that the skulls will always be worth more, but when it comes down to it, you will have a very hard time finding anything that is really rare, this day in time, for any reasonable price.

Best, Chris

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I am amazed at the prices for some of the skulls out there. I could not bring myself to spend over a $1000 for a little skull. I mean don't get me wrong I love the SS stuff and have a nice little collection of it but if I spend that kind of money on something it must be larger than a quarter and something I can really put in my hand. I miss the days when a set of SS headgear use to go for $300 to $500.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
          X