M44 erbsenmuster (pea-dot) use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M44 erbsenmuster (pea-dot) use

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have had much use of the vast knowledge collected here.

I intend to post pictures of my growing collection soon

I have a few questionS

Where was the pea-dot pattern M44 uniform used? I'm especially interested in the eastern front (particularly winter warfare) and battle of the bulge.

Which groups and divisions used them.

Any pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Volkssturmer; 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM.

Mostly Cooks , candlestick makers and pay clerks , they seemed to love the camouflage uniforms and wore them well into late 1945 when they were told they were very naughty and were made to take them off and to go to bed .

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
      Mostly Cooks , candlestick makers and pay clerks , they seemed to love the camouflage uniforms and wore them well into late 1945 when they were told they were very naughty and were made to take them off and to go to bed .
      Owen, you have a strange but funny sense of humor!

My thoughts:
      I would say on all fronts where the SS served but predominantly encountered the most in the west. Example HJ in the West but they were transfered to Hungary winter 44-45...
      so their uniforms went too obviously!
      If my memory serves me right I've seen images of the Ukranian/Galician SS (=Ostfront unit) wearing these too, so certainly on both fronts!

You write that you're interested in winter war fare...well these dot camo uniforms are not really considered winter clothing... but could have been worn OVER a woolen uniform
      as an extra layer of protection against the elements I guess... but the real purpose was camoflage and that would not work well in a white winter landscape!
      Last edited by NickG; 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volkssturmer View Post
        Where was the pea-dot pattern M44 uniform used? I'm especially interested in the eastern front (particularly winter warfare) and battle of the bulge.
        That pattern was all amongst combat troops of the ss from the spring of 1944 on. So it actually was in use for only one winter season (44/45) and was worn there in the appearance of 4 pocket uniforms, tanker's uniforms and winter clothing (likely also jump smocks).

Pictures of the battle of the bulge show those dot uniforms (M44) worn by ss men in midd december.

Comment

Comment

If you want to see lovely pictures of dot 44 in use, member Houwetrowe recently posted in this forum inspiring images about 12th hitlerjugend, if i recall well july 44.
            I concur with member Fritz reply, these uniforms turned out to be all seasons due to the scarcity of refurbishment at that stage of the war. im my very modest opinion, they were intended as 3/4 season camouflage, giving their best in spring/fall.

kind regards,

Salvatore

Comment

Thank you for all the help. Does anyone know if the m44 peadot was ever used during the russian campaign? Also, was the tunic ever turned inside out to utilise the white lining on the inside?

Comment

Thank you for all the help. Does anyone know if the m44 peadot was ever used during the russian campaign?
                That is a matter of how you define "russian campaign", by the time it was introduced there wasn't much left of a "russian campaign", rather retreats and reaction to red army's actions. It was anyhow used from early 44 on on the eastern front (as well as other theatres of course) but not during earlier stages such as "barbarossa".

Also, was the tunic ever turned inside out to utilise the white lining on the inside?
                Not to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X