A College Boy needs some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Red Baron View Post
    and no i was not aware of Koehl's work. Nor was it reccomended it to me by my thesis director, Professor Jonathon Sperber.
    What books did your professor recommend?

You should consider going to NARA for research.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott A. Hess View Post
      Not sure really the point, or if Im reading somthing out of context, however are you implying that since we didnt "experience" those events, ie, WW2, the Holocaust, etc. we should not study or write about them?
      I don't know anyone that fought in the civil war, or looked upon the Pharohs tombs as they were being built, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts you don't either, however, I fail to understand your point, being, we didnt live through it nor understand the context of what happened, thus, should be silent on the topic, not relook at history and what transpired when new and important documents are found (Himmler's appt book was found in the last ten years and sheds much light on the progression of Auschwitz from a poliitical camp to extermination/Kz...as do previously unavailable Soviet archives...etc etc..I could go on for volumes).
      Don't think that sits well with most educated people, or people in general. I hope Im wrong, but having reread your comment several times..its strikes me as well..I'll just leave it at that.
      As to "academia and their valets, well...again, what is that all about? Scratches head perplexed.......thought it was kinda cool that young people still find history, its lessons and teachngs relevant, and choose a path to understand what has come before us, maybe I should have focused harder on wood and metal shop. In a time/age when a lot of teenagers/young people don't even know who Stalin/Mao or Himmler was I find that pretty disturbing, and does not bode well for the future. The same logic would suggest that today's youth should abandon the study of history all together, and write about what, rap music, ipods, or new and improved ways to text, or develop politically correct terms to replace "old" speak language. I think your view is the one that Orwell in a very clear way warned against, the destruction of history. He who controls the past, controls the present, he who controls the present, controls the future. I do agree that there some revisionist historians who will distort history to fit a predetermined ideology, however, the study and writing of history unless you live in some strange doppelganger universe seems both important and relevant.
      You are thinking way way too much. All I am saying is that Revisionism and revisiting topics is killing historical fact in many cases. Not by you directly or your work, your statement just reminded me that topics in general are revisited over and over and over and each interpretation is different. It is entertaining to me. What is sad apart is that student, and perhaps his professor, is not aware of a critical resource like the work of a former OSS officer who interviewed SS officers about his thesis topic is sad. Koehl's work was objective but has been over looked now because it is neutral on the topic of the SS and presents facts etc. That is the real tragedy
      Last edited by Johnny R; 09-08-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Red Baron View Post
        and no i was not aware of Koehl's work. Nor was it reccomended it to me by my thesis director, Professor Jonathon Sperber.
        You should go beyond what he told you to look at-

Here are some of Koehl's books-

http://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&t...Lewis+Koehl%22
        Last edited by Johnny R; 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          You are thinking way way too much. All I am saying is that Revisionism and revisiting topics is killing historical fact in many cases. Not by you directly or your work, your statement just reminded me that topics in general are revisited over and over and over and each interpretation is different. It is entertaining to me. What is sad apart is that student, and perhaps his professor, is not aware of a critical resource like the work of a former OSS officer who interviewed SS officers about his thesis topic is sad. Koehl's work was objective but has been over looked now because it is neutral on the topic of the SS and presents facts etc. That is the real tragedy
          I do think too much, to the tune of 300 an hour when I take a case these days.(I still don't agree an individual can think "too much", if so, at his own peril)..I understand what your saying, it was just not the best way to say it. Apologies for ranting.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott A. Hess View Post
            I do think too much, to the tune of 300 an hour when I take a case these days.(I still don't agree an individual can think "too much", if so, at his own peril)..I understand what your saying, it was just not the best way to say it. Apologies for ranting.
            Great, I wish I could get paid that much to think. I do it for free most the time to help other people. I guess I should charge for it. No worries.

Comment

These have primary sources listed as well-

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1874356

http://www.jstor.org/pss/30185908

Comment

Check out this website it has many pre1945 era books on pdf as well as films and songs. Many primary sources to use.

http://nsl-archiv.com/Buecher/

picture unrelated to post

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X