EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever see an ss officers sleeve eagle cutoff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever see an ss officers sleeve eagle cutoff?

Have been watching this forum for a few years now and realize that I have not seen a posting concerning a genuine ss officers eagle cut-off. Has anyone in their collection have such a bird? Talking about a remnant of fabric still attached to the eagle.
    Are they really that scarce? Tunic removed bullion birds do show themselves and the fakes even more so. Perhaps one showed up and I missed it.

There is several threads on" cut off insignia" ....try the search button , and if you cant find them, maybe someone will know where it is.

Comment

Cut off

Originally posted by gj dettore View Post
      Have been watching this forum for a few years now and realize that I have not seen a posting concerning a genuine ss officers eagle cut-off. Has anyone in their collection have such a bird? Talking about a remnant of fabric still attached to the eagle.
      Are they really that scarce? Tunic removed bullion birds do show themselves and the fakes even more so. Perhaps one showed up and I missed it.
      Logic would dictate that it is possible based on the number of thread type that have shown up. I have never seen one, but it would make no difference to me if one showed up all of a sudden. After all, your buying the eagle, not the cloth it is attached to. I wouldn't pay a penny more for that, by the way.

Comment

Tried the search method and nothing was found regarding a bullion bird. Lots of other cut-offs that would be great to own are posted. Just seeing seeing them is a real treat as affording some of those pieces would not be possible for me.
        You would think that some soldier somewhere sliced off a glitzy officers eagle keeping it attached to a bit of uniform which eventually made it into a collection. Why would such an item that has so much eye appeal be absent from collections? It' just odd.

Comment

Here is a flat silver example I owned formerly
          Attached Files

Comment

Mike:
            That is a very honest and nice one you posted!

If I remember correctly there was rather recently one at a dealers site but I forgot which. I do not think I have seen a bullion eagle cut of though. I am sure there exists a few examples in collections. If they cut off parts of a collar with a bullion rune tab, they would also do that with a bullion eagle.

Cut offs are quite attractive to some collectors. They usually go for around a 50 - 100 % extra premium than a the plain insignia. We all collect different items of course.

//Felix

Comment

Mike:
              That is a very honest and nice one you posted!

If I remember correctly there was rather recently one at a dealers site but I forgot which. I do not think I have seen a bullion eagle cut of though. I am sure there exists a few examples in collections. If they cut off parts of a collar with a bullion rune tab, they would also do that with a bullion eagle.

Cut offs are quite attractive to some collectors. They usually go for around a 50 - 100 % extra premium than the plain insignia. We all collect different items of course.

//Felix

Comment

Mike,
                Thanks for posting a photo of the flatwire perhaps that's the closest to a bullion eagle cut-off that is out there. gjd.

Comment

cutoff w/Bullion SS Off sleeve eagle

This example is in a storage closet at the Don F. Pratt Museum
                  at Ft Campbell, KY. It was donated by a veteran of the 12th Armored Division and has never been on display for a single day since the museum has owned it. Furthermore, the piece cannot be sold or traded, because it is
                  logged-in to the National computer base of Army Museums' inventory.
                  Do I find this offensive? Hell yes, and there are other items even tastier stored in the back rooms that will never see the light of day. I have seen them, hands-on. Nothing we can do about this.
                  Anyhow, since this example exists, there are no doubt others still lurking out there in the woodwork, waiting to be discovered. I suspect that machine-sewn BEVO and embroidered EM sleeve eagles were often cut-off,
                  because it was easier than trying to remove them without taking the uniform material along with them. The bullion eagles were almost always hand-sewn and therefore much easier to remove, without going the cut-off route. I think this explains why we don't see more examples in collections.

Comment

Mark,
                    As the old saying goes,"That's what I'm talking about". Will that photo be in your SS book?

Comment

Stolen from me years ago was a pair of SS hauptsturmfuhrer collar tabs and a bullion sleeve eagle, on the sleeve cloth, as well as three embroidered tank destruction strips, still on the piece of sleeve.

I would love to find them.

Bob Hritz
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

M Bando;
                        Thanks for sharing this beautiful original eagle with us! I have never seen a bullion cut off before but I am sure there exists further examples. Probably a few more.

Regarding the theory about that hand stitched on insignias were easier to remove, that sounds logic to me. However I think the time factor in the battle field was perhaps even more important. One must also keep in mind that real bullion eagles are far more scarce than enlisted ones. What was cut off, was what was available. Cut off flat wire officers eagles are also very rare to see...

Cheers and thanks,
                        Felix

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X