X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

You know I like this one

unfortunately, somebody has more numbers on his bank account than I have...

Comment

Original tunic, but it looks as though someone used it as a drip pan beneath their Tiger I's transmission.

Richard

Comment

I would say it was stored in a real humid environment.Agree that it is original.

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Personally..there are a few things that concern me...which is why I cant say or ....I would just be careful...as is the norm with any piece.

Comment

42 ss

It looks good Scott, but what part of it concerns you?? We all love an education. I like seeing Glenns opinion here as well because he knows his cloth. It would be nice to see John Pic chime in on this one too.

Comment

First of all...I dont have the tunic in hand, so there are some things that one just cant tell. Here is what concerns me...enough to be ponder and question originality.

1. The overall aged condition of the tunic in contrast with a few details to me just dont' sit right. The tunic FROM the pics looks like the outer nap is entirely absent...YET..in picture 7 on estand (and others which show the ramp hole details) you see all the neat stitch drop downs from the initial sewing. This detail has been copied for some time now by fakers...I would expect to see this if at all on really fresh unissued tunics..all present on one that looks like it was worn through the demjansk pocket to surrender...is odd.
                I have seen nap degrading due to extreme sun fading/exposure which gives the base material a very rough dry feel...and the nap virtually through the uv exposure almost burned off..for lack of a better term...on this tunic..ALL the nap is gone..or appears to be..which really would be for me hard to imagine..IF this were due to use...then I would think these more fragile stitch attachments would be gone, yet.they are all intact..which to me is a just odd.

2. The under the collar construction. The Later war M43's. (wool) SS hbt dots, wrappers..and even the earlier VT tunics in field grey I have seen (and M42/s) I have not seen constructed in the fashion. If you look at the construction in accepted originals..I have not run across it...yet..I admit I have not handled a 1000 tunics. The under the collar construction is consistent with Heer/Luft tunics. True...hundreds of thousands of these SS tunics were made, the ones I'm comfortable with don't emulate the standard Heer/Luft/Kriegsmarine construction. Its not outside the realm of possibility that some makers followed the Heer/Luft construction methods..I like to own the ones that don't. Someone posted a rather unissued variety of this M42 a few years ago..and it was constructed in the exact fashion. Several members with Good M42's pulled theirs out..checked under the collar..and know what I am talking about.

3. The "newer" rust stains on the collar hardware...its just a bit fresh looking for my liking.

4. The entire interior of the tunic TO ME appears aged to possibly hide the original tone/hue of the fabric and weave. Again...This one purports to represent a tunic that has either been heavily aged OR abused/improperly stored through the years.

The tunic could be fine.and there are people here who have seen many more than I have..but from what I see..and have seen..its not something I comfortably say "good" just from the pics...hopefully Im wrong, however...previously I've failed to pick these things apart..add up the sum..and saw good pieces where I should have been more careful.
                Just my thoughts. Hopefully someone has a rather unissued M42 which they can post the undersie of the collar...and prove me wrong.
                Last edited by Scott A. Hess; 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thank you to all for your opinions!
                  Doc

Comment

you soled this to an other? I tough you have gave your word, to keep this on hold till sunday???

explenation please?

greets Nick

Comment

I like the tunic itself but find quite weird that no traces of original insignia can be found, at least from the pictures provided.

Comment

Originally posted by nick d.c. View Post
                        you soled this to an other? I tough you have gave your word, to keep this on hold till sunday???

explenation please?

greets Nick
                        Hi,
                        You are not alone Nick,
                        I thought I was first , too.
                        Regards
                        Jarek

Comment

But you were wrong. Sorry. Doc

Comment

... and of course, sorry for the inconvenient. The first of interests sent the money for the tunic.
                            Doc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X