Tunic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunic question

I have had this tunic for some years now, I did not buy it believing it to be original, I bought it to take to class where I teach history to show it and let kids dress up in it. I guess my question, is how bad is it? Is it an original tunic that someone put insignia on? The buttons are 37 dated A & S, also, funny, but nothing glows under a black light. There are stamps on the inside of the tunic. Any comments will be welcomed. A museum wants to do a WWII display and wondered about displaying this tunic. I told them it may be a fantasy piece, but I want to know how bad is it. Thanks.
    Dave
    Attached Files

more pics 1
    Attached Files

Comment

more pics 2
      Attached Files

Comment

Last pics
        Attached Files

Comment

It's all bad...Jacket and so on.

Glenn
          "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Tunic

I think the tunic buttons are probably OK.

Comment

So was there ever a tunic that looked like this with the death's heads and all?

Comment

i vote the tunic is original,but was dyed black post war from a luftwaffe one,all inignia are bad.

Comment

I wondered about the tunic itself, but pretty well believed the insignia to be bad. Here is a better picture of the buttons. The OLC buttons are on the pockets and the A&S are on the front buttons. Thanks so far for the comments.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yep I fully agree with Besslein!
                    Its a 100% original Luftwaffe prewar tunic... which unfortunately has been Dyed black pretending to be Algemeine SS....
                    hence the black lining...
                    The 1937 dates Assmann&Sohn buttons are most likely original to this prewar tunic...the button threads also dyed black now!

The stamps in the lining are proof of its origin and (partially) read the following LW unit:
                    (common to show unit info on prewar LW tunics) "...Flak Regiment 11" and "3 battr I" (Battery)

Here some unit history:
                    http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt111.html

>
                    Last edited by NickG; 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruv View Post
                      So was there ever a tunic that looked like this with the death's heads and all?
                      Not with "mirror" tabs and a sleeve eagle on it.

Comment

Would the interior lining not be more black (like the markings/stamps) if it were dyed? I assume they have to soak the whole jacket in order to dye the exterior wool. Perhaps if the exterior wool is already blue,the black dye would make it darker than the interior lining.

Glenn
                        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Why no French cuffs if it is a LW 4-pocket?

Don

Comment

I'm with the others - a postwar dyed LW tunic (with the cuffs removed, done many times for civilian wear), later "tarted up" as an SS tunic.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it.
                              Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X