Shooting lanyard in SS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting lanyard in SS question

Did Waffen SS men qualify for Wehrmacht (Heer) shooting lanyards?
    I know that besides the army, the LW and even KM had their own versions,
    but the SS did not...hence my question...

If so any period pictures?

Don't know if it is original to the tunic, but here is one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBH5-CsxOU

Comment

This web image is of an SS vet (note Pattern 57 partisan combat badge!)
      He wears a Bundeswehr shooting lanyard as he can't wear a WW2 era
      Swastika one! Obviously he earned one!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

no they did not wear them. originally (for some) they wore the early army sleeve strip shooting award system. this was the pre- lanyard system. the lanyard system was for military troops only . I believe (could be wrong) this system was suspended for the duration for the war in 1940 (?) , this would be before hitler stated the W-SS was the 4th part of the military.
        these were to be worn only for parades /ceremonies any how , not many of those after france.
        there was a badge design (3 classes=?) that was in metal or cloth that was intended for the SS . many were made but, never issued to my knowledge. there is a few shown in the SS section of this forum site. jeff

Comment

Thanks. Makes sense than.No wonder I can't find any pitures of these in wear in the Waffen SS.
          You are right; only during the was was the Waffen SS with recognized as a 4th military branch,
          but the lanyards were no longer being issued after the hostilities started...so they were out of luck!

Found this on the web: (from a WH vets recollection of his war time experience)
          3 April 1943 - Drill and maintenance duties. I am called to report to the company commander, but I am not aware of any offense. It turns out the reason is not for that, but to receive his praise for my marksmanship. He said that in peace time I would have received the "shooting cord" (lanyard) and is worn from the right shoulder-strap to the right breast-pocket What a pity that this recognition was repealed during war time.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
            This web image is of an SS vet (note Pattern 57 partisan combat badge!)
            He wears a Bundeswehr shooting lanyard as he can't wear a WW2 era
            Swastika one! Obviously he earned one!
            Nick I don't think the Bandenkampfabzeichen neccesarily means he was Waffen-SS ? The SS used the sleeve raute marksman badges at least pre-war.

Ian

Comment

I bet this honourable man is a member of Freikorps Oberland depicted at their memorial in Schliersee - nice picture!

Comment

Nice photo.I have spoken with him once.He was a member in Totenkopf.

Comment

Ian, this Vet has been identified as Waffen SS Sturmmann Josef Dorsch...
                  Not sure if he was a TK member Etienne ...more likely SS gebirgsjager, based on his (post war)
                  cap edelweiss!

Photo from a veterans commemorative event in Ulrichsberg, Austria (2008).
                  Wonder how he got the Bundeswehr Schutzenschnur? (shooting lanyard)

Any period photos out there of Waffen SS members with the shooting lanyard, perhaps earned prior to transfering from the Army to the SS?
                  Last edited by NickG; 07-16-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I see that he also have the Bundesverdienstkreuzmedaille and the Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande on his medal bar, so why should he not have gotten the schützenschnur after the war as well, maybe as a member of the reserve or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton View Post
                      I see that he also have the Bundesverdienstkreuzmedaille and the Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande on his medal bar, so why should he not have gotten the schützenschnur after the war as well, maybe as a member of the reserve or something.
                      You're right! I see it now too!
                      Those West German Army medals are the red cross design ones!
                      So the shooting lanyard was earned post war while still serving!

Comment

From his decorations, he served well into the 50's and possibly 60's..

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                          Ian, this Vet has been identified as Waffen SS Sturmmann Josef Dorsch...
                          Hi Nick, no disrespect, my point was that the Bandenkampfabzeichen was awarded to anyone involved in anti-partisan warfare ... even inc crews of planes dropping supplies to units involved in anti-partisan operations.

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X