Field Made camo m43 cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Made camo m43 cap?

It is worn rather badly. The stuffing of the visor is crumbled (I don't know what was inside it, pressed paper?) The silk-like inside of the cap is worn through on the edges. The cap has a few repairs on the outside. The only number or id on the inside is a "57" or "5F". I can't tell. Any opinions on it?
    Attached Files

another view
    Attached Files

Comment

last view
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello stoneagegixer.

There are several points about this cap that I will attempt to make, that are "red flags" to me. First, the cap is quite "luxurious" for a field made piece. IMO, it just doesn't make sense that a company tailor would go to all the trouble to cut and stitch a false scallop trim around the outer base of the cap for field use. Second, is the rayon type lining - why go to this much trouble? IMO a field made cap would not exhibit these types of features considering that this cap would have to have been sewn during the late stages of the war when materials were probably quite scarce. Third, the cap bill exhibits a tremendous amount of wear but that's it... the stitching elsewhere looks new and does the lining. Fourth is the fact that the cap is size marked. Company tailors where soldiers first. I don't think they really would have time to sit around and sew different size caps to stockpile for needy comrades. I know that this is not what you would probably like to hear, so I invite others to comment as well.

Cheers.
        David

Comment

Dot pattern camo was printed on either HBT or smooth cotton material. The material used to make this cap apears to be the light weight cotton material used to make winter parkas.

The cut or style of the cap is copied from a 1960's Bundeswehr camo cap. This is not a WW2 style design.

For sure this cap was made in the last 20-30 yrs. Other then the camo material being real the cap is not from WW2.

best regards,
          Remy<><

Comment

camo cap

I agree with all that has been said above. Post war cap for sure.
            Jerry

Comment

I'd only say that you will find field made pieces that do have the faux scallop on them. But, otherwise, I agree with the thoughts on this cap.

Comment

Here's a shot from the side just to show that it is not a bundeswehr cap...

Thank you for the feedback and the interest in responding. Many point/red flags that were brought up sound very legit. I'm at work right now so I will post a better pic of it from the side. As I am neither trying to sell it nor do I have big money in it I'm not going to fight a battle over its authenticity. I will make a few points that will make you wonder.

It is not a Bundeswehr cut cap or pattern camo. The material is indeed WW2,I believe Remy had it right when he said it is from the winter SS parkas. The reason it might look like Bundeswehr style cap is because the material is very flimsy/light so the shape doesn't hold that well just sitting on the ground. I will stuff teh cap and post a better side view. It is well worn (although that doesn't prove anything as the cap could be 20 years old or 60...) However, I did get this from my friend over 5 years ago. Here's a red flag for you...he's in Czech Rep. BUT, he's had it stored in his collection prior to 1989. What does that mean? 1989 was when communism fell. Again..what the point? There were NO re-enactors or manufacturers of NAZI artifacts during Communism! That was very TABBU to even have it in your possession. Was it made for the movie industry? Why. The Czech movie industry had thousands of original items as we all know now....STATNI property.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that no one 20 years ago would try to make a fake SS cap as there was no where to sell it. You couldn't advertise it and there was enough of the real stuff around for next to nothing. 10 years ago there were SA daggers were $80-$100 dollars. M42 helmets (repainted black)$10. SS helmets $300-$700 so as you see 20 years ago this stuff went for "nothing".

Back to the cap. One "red flag" made me notice and that was over the size marking on the inside. If it was field made why mark it? Would the Battalion Tailor make enough of these. the inside of it is lined again would the tailor go to that trouble, but these are the things I can't explain.
                AGAIN, I LIKE TO THANK ALL THE FEEDBACK. That is what makes this fun!

PSafter the war Czechs did produce items out of German surplus for wear. After all most of the textile industry was situated in CSR. The only thing is is that a Czech tailor in a Communist state would most like not make a copy of a german cap for wear around town.....but I suppose in this crazy world anything is possible.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by stoneagegixer; 05-24-2004, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X