Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Cap Insignia

Thoughts on these?

Sorry but I believe these are both fake.

Ian.

Comment

agreed. these are the new ones being made in Europe. The skull has the wrong pins for this maker and there is no teeth detail to the reverse. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ha, I can't believe I missed the teeth detail on the reverse, funny what you overlook. I have only ever dealt with an SS skull once, so still learning - thanks though - actually labeling what is wrong really does help. Cheers

Comment

no problem at all. Glad to be of help. The original M1/24's have a different pin configuration to them as well, if you do a search on here you will find some original examples posted.

Comment

Original M1/24's always have teeth details on the reverse .. ?
            After just reading in another thread that Zinc items are always more rare than Cupal .. ?

It's been a strange day - but both items shown are indeed fake ..

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
              Sorry but I believe these are both fake.

Ian.
              yep repros

Comment

Originally posted by Winkelman View Post
                Original M1/24's always have teeth details on the reverse .. ?
                After just reading in another thread that Zinc items are always more rare than Cupal .. ?

It's been a strange day - but both items shown are indeed fake ..
                Very strange, indeed. Both of these incorrect statements illustrate the saying, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

No, not all original Overhoff skulls had teeth details on the reverse. [This TK is, of corrse, still fake]

No, zinc insignia are not always more rare than CupAl. It varies by maker and style. For some styles by certain makers, examples in zinc are quite uncommon, but in other styles by other makers, zinc examples are by far the most common. Also, rarity does not always translate into value. Certainly, in some cases, an extremely rare zinc style may command a higer price than a CupAl piece by the same maker. However, as a gereral rule, CupAl pieces are far more desireable and valuable than zinc and solid aluminum more desirable and valuable than CupAl.

Unfortunately, less experienced collectors often tend to latch onto one small piece of information and incorrectly extrapolate from that to make sweeping--and incorrect--conclusions about broader issues within this complex area of study/collecting.

Comment

bwanek1, thank you for that informative and educational reply... nothing can replace a solid base of correct information, which I, at the age of 22 is still acquiring!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X