Bundeswehr Totenkopf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bundeswehr Totenkopf?

I picked this up a couple of years ago. It was attached to a 1980s Bundeswehr beret of some sort. What caught my eye was the striking resemblance to the SS totenkopf. One would assume such a thing has been outlawed in Germany. But I had read somewhere that modern German tank units still utilized a totenkopf device. Does anyone know if this particular emblem is (or was) actually worn by Bundeswehr personnel?

I don't think so, it's a fantasy pin's that can be found here and there. Nice design nevertheless.

Comment

Tk......

These have been around for years and IMO this is a prime fantasy piece, as it has the same design skull of that of the SS with a oakleaf backing with the battle shield curved in one corner. I have never seen any insignia resemble that of Waffen SS on any Bundeswehr tunic. That, surely would have been illegal at the time, let alone cause more upset. David

Comment

I thought it was a fantasy piece, although I too think the design is rather nifty. Thank you!

Comment

That badge is a fantasy.

BUT - the Bundeswehr still use the death's head on some of their tanks.

Here's one.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 05-17-2004, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
            That badge is a fantasy.

BUT - the Bundeswehr still use the death's head on some of their tanks.

Here's one.
            That's pretty cool, Robin! Thanks for the pic.

Comment

No problem.

I couldn't believe it when I saw it either.

Comment

Robin ! Interesting picture indeed ! Is this a unit emblem ?

Comment

I really don't know.

All I know is, it's on a Bundeswehr tank. See how it's right beside the Iron Cross.

I think it must be a 'local' unit badge, but perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Bundeswehr can help out??

The totenkopf is virtually a 'banned' badge in Germany these days, (most people STILL think it represents the SS ), so I was very surprised to see this so openly shown on a German army vehicle.

Comment

Robin !

I have found out what is this. The Totenkopf is an emblem of Braunschweig panzerwaffe unit.

Comment

The Totenkopf might indeed be on a tank from a Braunschweig unit. If that is the case, it is a reminiscence of a much older tradition, that of the Totenkopfhusaren (which has already been covered in previous threads).

Regards
                      Chris

Comment

Is not the TK displayed there on the armoured car to indicate Danger!
                        cheers,
                        Gary

Comment

In this case Totenkopf is reminiscence of 17-th Infantry Regiment from Braunschweig.

I thhink it's too big for danger indication or there is something very dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by pimpf
                            Robin !

I have found out what is this. The Totenkopf is an emblem of Braunschweig panzerwaffe unit.
                            Thanks. That's interesting!

Comment

Special forces totenkoph in Vietnam

I know this isn't German and may be trivial but I wanted to pass on to poeple who didn't know. Certain US Special forces in Vietnam adopted the totenkoph as symbol on their beret or other headgear. There are several published period photos of the insignia in wear in Vietnam. Regards,Mitch
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X