Allgemeine SS rank question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allgemeine SS rank question...

I have an Allgemeine SS tunic and trouser combination I am being offered locally by another collector. I will post some photos at a later time. The one glaring issue is the fact that the tunic has a collar rank tab for Rottenfuhrer, but the right shoulder strap is of the officer variety. I have not handled this first hand yet and the photos I was sent are not good enough to clarify what is or is not reapplied. The seller states nothing has, but I am not certain he would know. He is of the opinion that this tunic belonged to an officer candidate.

My knowledge of officer candidacy distinction is the All-SS is zero. I think a SS-VT or WSS Rottenfuhrer who sought commission could pursue it via SS-Junker, but I am not aware of a similar path in the Allgemeine ranks.

Bottom line would be to ask if this rank and strap combination had any plausible existence. I'm thinking that it is a restoration by an uninformed person at some point, but if the collar insignia is good then the set might be a decent pick up to obtain a nice restorable piece and end up with a set of extra tabs in the end.

I think your bottom line assessment is correct. If it is an original garment, a hands-on inspection should tell you which of the insignia have been replaced.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

To be fair much original vet stuff was played with by their kids/grandkids and loose stuff got swapped .... an old friend had an EKII and Ost Medal with the ribbons swapped, he'd had then for ever (since the Brenner Pass) and his nieces and nephews had played with them.

The items need to judged as a whole and anything fake the deal's gone bad.

Ian

Comment

Agree

Yes, I agree. I just recently passed on a Luftwaffe 2nd Model dagger in an Army scabbard and hanger. Things get mixed up... often in a manner as you describe.

My real concern is the seller's opinion that all is OK with this thing, calling the mismatch "officer candidate". I was hoping to get a reply that would refute this possibility and one further, shed some light on the proper officer candidacy protocol within the Allgemeine-SS if there even was such a thing.

The mismatch being a Rottenfuehrer tab with and officer's epaulet. Bob's comment imply that no, this is not a proper combination which supports my suspicions. I would still be interested to know if there is or is not a proper combination or protocol for officer candidacy within this branch of the SS. If I tell the seller its not right, I would like to have the knowledge as to why.

Thanks

Comment

Allgemeine tunic

Hello,
          What kind of piping is around the collar of the tunic?
          Peter

Comment

Piping

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
            Hello,
            What kind of piping is around the collar of the tunic?
            Peter
            Barber pole

Comment

Screw-on officer's strap ?

Comment

Strap

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                Screw-on officer's strap ?
                I will have to ask or take note when I go look.

Comment

Tunic

Everything sounds right with the tabs and collar piping. The board, if it is what you describe, is the wrong item for the tunic. There are no mixing of these insignia pieces, officer candidate , etc. Most allgemeine ss boards are sewn in and slip on type are rare. The tunic may be total junk, so be prepared for that.

Comment

^^ precisely what I'm thinking ^^

Comment

Junk

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                      The tunic may be total junk, so be prepared for that.
                      I'm always prepared for that... because it usually is.

I will post the few photos I do have this evening, but warn they are not the best. The guy is local so I plan to see it first had at some point if it warrants a visit. Thanks for the information guys.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X