Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS visor eagle & skull in SILVER

Hello all,

Do any of you out there have an original set of SS visor insignia in silver? I would love to see detailed photos of the eagle and skull. Also, any information about these examples would be appreciated. Thank you.

William Kramer
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

William.

I don't think that any '800' stamped SS cap insignia are original. My own view is that they are all fake.

Comment

silver cap sets

I second that!
      Jerry

Comment

In 40 years, I have seen 3 original 800 maked skulls and 4 original 800 marked eagles, all on visor hats. I have never seen any loose originals for sale. I have seen, and gotten stung by, copies of SS hat insignia marked 800.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I would like to see an original, but have never seen one.
          Best, Chris

Comment

Bob.

YOU got stung by copies of SS insignia???

That's a relief. I thought it was only me!!

Regards,

Robin.

Comment

Hello

Hello all,

Thank you for input. I have been skeptical on most examples out there but I wanted to know if there were a few that did exist....obviously not and I thank you for that.

William Kramer

Comment

Hello Robin,

In 40 years of buying this stuff, I could buy a respectible automobile with what I wasted on fakes(prices adjusted to today's market). Back in 1967, I saved up $44.00 and flew to Mecca (David Delich's home) and showed David my 30 some cuff titles and bags of insignia. David advised me I had ONE original cuff title, no original eagles and skulls and, perhaps, 3 or 4 original collar tabs.

I studied and learned, and with David's help, decided that I would know as much about what I collect as can be learned.

The path was expensive, all mistakes were mine, and I have never looked back. Let's see, it cost me about $60000 to $70000, each, to send my children to college. I guess my wasted $10000 or so should be considered a cheap tuition from the college of SS insignia and Third Reich militartia.

I am not embarrassed that I have made mistakes. I learn from them and do not whine, ceaselessly, about it. It is the cost of collecting and that is the price we pay.

I do not know of any human endeavour that is without risk and guarantees success (or profit). If I found that avocation, I would be there, not here.

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hello

Bob,

I guess your college education is a good way to look at it. I got taken for $1,400.00 when I was 16 on a KC from Michael Walther of Germany.....Brunswikimili or something like that on the Internet sites. Anyhow, that was a lesson well learned. That's why I only take advice from the big-boys now. I guess my total wasted on fakes would be about $4,000.00 and I am a mere Sophomore at Western Illinois University.....so my lessons were hard learned too.

Bill

Comment

Bob.

You're right.

Every mistake made is a very valuable lesson learned.

That's the good thing about forums like this. The new collectors can benefit from the experience of longtime collectors like yourself.

You take the pain, they get the gain.

In other walks of life, the benefit of such knowledge and experience has to be paid for.

Ask any lawyer!

Best regards,

Robin.

Comment

"I am not embarrassed that I have made mistakes. I learn from them and do not whine, ceaselessly, about it. It is the cost of collecting and that is the price we pay."

Wise words indeed Mr Hritz.

Ian.

Comment

SS eagle and totenkopf in neusilber

I have been searching for an SS visor hat eagle in neusilber to match a neusilber totenkopf for a display. The totenkopf carries the Fritz Zimmermann RZM number.

Does anyone have an example of such an eagle that they can post for me to see?

The neusilber totenkopf is an un questionable original that was sucured in Frankfort in 1945 by the 86 year-old veteran who is still living. He pulled it from an SS visor in a billeting area of the I.G, Farben office building, when the uniforms were carried outside and burned in a Frankfurt street.
                        Don Bible

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                          In 40 years, I have seen 3 original 800 maked skulls and 4 original 800 marked eagles, all on visor hats. I have never seen any loose originals for sale. I have seen, and gotten stung by, copies of SS hat insignia marked 800.

Bob Hritz
                          Bob is 100% correct. The examples that I have seen, and one I own was on Sepp Dietrich's rabbit fur cap, and Himmlers 1940 dress cap (Imperial War Museum). There were several jewelers making these types of insignia for troops who wanted/ could afford the items. I have seen only one loose set that was legit.

Dan

Comment

I would be interested to know what the difference between the real silver insignia and repro is?

Dave
                            DaveJ

Comment

SS visor hat eagle in neusilber

Please do not confuse the word silver and NEUSILBER, which does not contain ANY silver at all. It is German silver and has an appearance like stainless steel.
                              Thanks.
                              Don Bible

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X