oorlogsspullen

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS Collar Tab - Maker/Date of Manufacture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Collar Tab - Maker/Date of Manufacture?

Hi all,

Recently I obtained this tab along with some other items from the vet's family. They were stored in the attic, but thankfully the moths stayed away from this piece. It's real, that's about all I know.

I have a few questions hopefully you can help me with:

Question 1: Is there any way to determine the time period in which this tab was produced?

Question 2: Is it possible to determine any maker from construction or anything like that?

Question 3: Were any of these un-applied insignia known to have been taken as souvenirs by US troops who liberated Buchenwald-Ohrdruf?

P.S. Do you guys have any favorite makers/models for a small/medium size shadowbox? Something nice.

Thank you very much for your assistance,
    Derek
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Derek O.; 03-15-2011, 01:42 PM.

Question 1: Is there any way to determine the time period in which this tab was produced? - Yes, this tab used to have an rzm tag which make it manufactured pre "early 1943" and post 1937-1938 (when paper tags were introduced) More exactly than this would be harder. A guess would be 1942 manufacture.

Question 2: Is it possible to determine any maker from construction or anything like that? - Tag is ripped off. With the code of the maker of the rzm tag gone it would be hard. Some maker numbers are known. Perhaps someone might recognize the same pattern with an rzm tag intact? I can not help you further I am afraid.

Question 3: Were any of these un-applied insignia known to have been taken as souvenirs by US troops who liberated Buchenwald-Ohrdruf? - Not that I know of, but many from Dachau. Perhaps others can fill in? Refering to collar tabs, mostly the BeVo version and the "common" skull tabs were found along with a number of other volunteer tabs. there also has been normal "rzm" style rune tabs found in Dachau finds.

P.S. Do you guys have any favorite makers/models for a small/medium size shadowbox? Something nice. - Sorry, cant help u.

//Felix

Comment

Felix,
      Wonderful info. Thank you very much for helping with my questions.

Comment

Looks like it's on a nice flag ................. from the vet's family as well?

Comment

Very nice RZM style tab for certain!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
            Looks like it's on a nice flag ................. from the vet's family as well?
            Robin,
            Yes, I also obtained a very nice Party flag from him.
            I have a large file folder of some of his dad's war-time letters he was kind enough to let me buy as well. In one of these letters dated 26 May, 1945 from Untereichenstein, Germany he mentions this flag and stated to his parents - to whom he was writing - that he had just found it and sent it home in a parcel a few days prior.
            In another letter, he mentions he had taken some SS items and medals from an SS barracks, and this was just after they went through Ohrdruf - so thus the question of that in my original post.

David, et al: Just to make sure I have this correct, "RZM" is the actual maker of the collar tab as well, right? (Sorry, I speak "helmet")
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Derek O.; 03-15-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek O. View Post
              Just to make sure I have this correct, "RZM" is the actual maker of the collar tab as well, right? (Sorry, I speak "helmet")
              Long story short ............. RZM was a party organisation that controlled quality of manufacture.

This was necessary because, in the 1920s and early 1930s, many makers turned out 'junk' medals etc. for private sale.

Hundreds of approved manufacturers were signed up to the RZM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden View Post
                Long story short ............. RZM was a party organisation that controlled quality of manufacture.

This was necessary because, in the 1920s and early 1930s, many makers turned out 'junk' medals etc. for private sale.

Hundreds of approved manufacturers were signed up to the RZM.
                Robin,
                Thanks for clearing that up - much appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X