Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with chevron in Soldbuch pic

Good evening,

I am considering adding this Soldbuch to my collection, but have been searching for the meaning of the chevron he's wearing on his right sleeve. I know he's too young to have been an "old fighter" and lived nowhere near Austria to support Austrian pro-Nazi organisations prior to 1938 so can anybody shed light on what this is and why he'd be wearing it???

He's got a pretty good spread of combat units and was KIA in France in December of '44. He's buried in the war cemetery at Hottot-les-Bagues.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bob
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob,

That can't be anything but an old fighter chevron. While young, he may have been a member of the Hitler Youth (or maybe the DJ?) prior to his military service.
      That is the only scenario I can think of.

Best,
      Erich

P.S. Great Soldbuch

Comment

I agree, that is an old fighters chevron for sure.

When was he born? He might be older than he seems to be,,,

I cant tell if and early member of HJ was qualified for wearing an old fighers chevron or not, but it is possible.

//Felix

Comment

Erich & Felix, thanks for the replies!

I agree it certainly looks like an AK chevron, but he was born on 15 Feb 1924 and the pic in the book dates to at least 1 Aug 44 as that's when he was promoted to USF.

I've seen a fair number of pics of guys who were former HJ/DJ members prior to their service entry and don't recall ever seeing a chevron on somebody this young?? Nor do I recall reading anywhere that this was an eligibility factor for wear.

Thanks again - can anybody else help????

v/r

Bob

Comment

Was discussed last year: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=445355

/Ian
            Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Thanks Ian! The guy that offered this to me did in fact get it from Dave. Funny how so much of this stuff comes full circle. I tried searching for it on here but came up empty - appreciate the link!

Interesting thing about him potentially having early HJ service is that it is not mentioned anywhere on the documents I copied from his file at the U.S. National Archives today??

In any case it's a nice piece and if I keep it I hope I can pin down something concrete as this sort of thing drives me nuts.

v/r

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X