No announcement yet.

SS M 43 cap italian wool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that the cap is not a repro but a good one restamped.
    The owner get it in1985.
    In my opinion, repro like that one didn't exist more than 20 years ago.
    Construction of this cap has nothing to do with the copies of that era.
    Moreover, it's the only one I ever seen. If somebody get one, let me see.
    Obviously, a physical examination is always better
    That's my opinion.

Comment

What are your thoughts on this subject?
      Jan

SSM43Officershat 002 (800x600).jpg

SSM43Officershat 001 (800x600).jpg

Comment

[ATTACH]1779758[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1779759[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1779760[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1779761[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1779762[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1779763[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1779766[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1779767[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by pieand View Post
                The owner get it in1985.
                That's my opinion.
                The thing which worries me is the size stamp.

If it is an original cap then it would at least have a size stamp applied to the cap at the time it was made.

The size stamp in your one looks to be "57" or "5J" and is done in the same font as the bad "SS-BW", is applied with the same ink and centered exactly in relation to the bad SS stamp plus the "1944" date is questionable too.

If this was an original cap with bogus SS marking then the size stamp would be in a different ink, font and place,

Chris

Comment

I agree with you Chris and think exactly like you.
                  Nevertheless, I have already seen M43 caps without size.
                  Actually, I try to understand where is the truth.
                  And exept the markings, the cap is made in the mind of that era.
                  Pieand

Comment

And for the one Jan have posted, I have a bad feeling on it.
                    First, you can find a lot of these on the today's market.
                    Two, something curious is the two sides rivets on a late war example
                    And also a curious shape for a late italian wool M-43 cap (looks like a gebirgjaeger shape)
                    BUT the debate is not about your cap and I don't pretendI to be an expert

Pieand

Comment

Originally posted by Fred S View Post
                      When you find a SS-BW stamp in a cap you can pass straight away.
                      Agreed. Plus the cap needs to look original as well.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The owner get it in1985.
                        That's my opinion.
                        IMO that logic only leads to collecting disaster. There are now, in this day and age, enough originals in books, collections, and on this forum to compare to.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

cap

I saw same SS BW stamp in a fake dot camo M44 jacket.

Jack

Comment

I agree with you Chris and think exactly like you.
                            Nevertheless, I have already seen M43 caps without size.
                            Actually, I try to understand where is the truth.
                            And exept the markings, the cap is made in the mind of that era.
                            Pieand
                            A couple of long time collectors and myself were talking about this just the other day in regard to tropical caps with no markings. In 9 out of 10 cases this is because the tropical cap has been washed.

SS M43's during the war do not seem to have had the need to be washed like a tropical cap and I can not ever recall ever seeing an original SS M43 with no markings what so ever. Many of the originals which I have handled have had only a size marking on the lining and nothing else.

So can you see a faint size marking any where else on your cap, do you think the cap has been heavily washed or can you find another cap constructed exactly like your one which has come from a veteran source ?

There are points about the construction of this cap which are unusual and not what one sees on a "one looker",

Chris
                            Last edited by 90th Light; 03-07-2011, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I've seen again this cap and there is no faint size marking any where else.
                              And the cap has not been heavily washed. The construction is different compared to what we used to see.
                              See Joined photos of the rear EM and officer caps.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I am by no means an expert in this field
                                but i do own what i believe to be an original ss officers 'stani' italian gaberdeen field cap and an original other ranks italian wool "BERVEN padova" made field cap and these do display many similar points to shown caps.
                                I'm pretty sure the 'ss bw" is bogas, but do i see a number size stamp under the bogas size stamp??
                                I like the lining material and stamp of the 'BERVAN padova'
                                my thoughts are 'original caps' copy ss bw stamp'!
                                wisches

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 0 members and 15 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X