ss visor cap--hand sewn pasteboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss visor cap--hand sewn pasteboard

OK, I have done some reading on this and tried to fish for answers on the headgear forum, without success.

I recently had a chance for a hands on inspection of what appers to be a good waffen SS NCO visor. The only issue I can find with it, aside from condition, is that the pasteboard appears to be hand sewn on the bottom.

I know there has been some vigorous debate about whether the paste board on original caps was EVER hand sewn. Has this been resolved one way or the other?

If it is the kiss of death then I need to make a return pretty bloody quick.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Brian

Paste board

It probably took less than a half hour to machine sew an EM
    hat from start to finish. I seriously doubt trying to sew through the paste board was done by hand. If nothing else, that part was done by machine.

Comment

Peter, are you saying that ALL visors would have a machine sewn pasteboard? Or are you saying that no faker would hand sew them?

Cheers,

Brian

Comment

Paste Board

Originally posted by The Other Brian View Post
        Peter, are you saying that ALL visors would have a machine sewn pasteboard? Or are you saying that no faker would hand sew them?

Cheers,

Brian
        First, we must not use "absolute" terms like "all visors" and "no faker".
        A visor hat should have a machine sewn paste board top and bottom. I would purchase nothing else.

Comment

Thank you Peter. Your input is appreciated.

Sayle F, Ben, NTZ, anyone else have a contrary view?

If hand sewn pasteboard is the kiss of death, then it greatly simplifies things from my perspective.

I will try to post photos of the sewing to get consensus that it is in fact hand sewn, and not sloppily machine sewn.

Too bad, it otherwise appears a lovely and extremely convincing cap.

Comment

Pasteboard

Thank you Peter. Your input is appreciated.

Sayle F, Ben, NTZ, anyone else have a contrary view?

If hand sewn pasteboard is the kiss of death, then it greatly simplifies things from my perspective.

I will try to post photos of the sewing to get consensus that it is in fact hand sewn, and not sloppily machine sewn.

Too bad, it otherwise appears a lovely and extremely convincing cap.
            Can I ask how you can see that it is hand sewn? Most of the sewing involving the pasteboard is hidden from view. The top row being well under the lining for example.

Comment

It is very irregular with some very long stitches and at least one area where it appears doubled up.

ThE lining is pretty fragmented under the sweatband so the pasteboard is exposed in multiple areas.

Comment

Hat

It is very irregular with some very long stitches and at least one area where it appears doubled up.

ThE lining is pretty fragmented under the sweatband so the pasteboard is exposed in multiple areas.
                Well, let's see the hat. Maybe we can figure out whats going on.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X