Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about SS Dog tag - Freikorps Dänemark

Hi

A friend of mine asked me to post this dog tag for review.

He has gotten some negative feedback of the originality - but according to his story below he is convinced that the tag is original.

Thanks for your feedback !!!

.................................................. .................................................. .........................

I brought this dog tag this summer from www.relictsshop.com.

I have searched for information in the lists of fallen men from the Rgt. Danmark and there was a man from Ers.kp.Freikorps Danmark with the number 296. His name was Jan Jørgsholm and he was killed in 1944 in Nava.

I contacted www.relictsshop.com after I found out where exactly in Nava Jan Jørgsholm was killed and asked them where they found the dog tag.

I did not tell www.relictsshop.com what I knew about where Jan Jørgsholm was killed. But they confirmed that the tag was found close to where I found out that Jan Jørgsholm was killed. Furthermore their details regarding the where they found it (close to a car) matched the information that I had found.

Thus everything match - where the tag was found, where he was reported missing and the detalis.

Based on the information I believe that this dog tag original.

But what are your opinions about the tag ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OU812; 01-03-2011, 08:04 AM.

Finding
    Attached Files

Comment

I am no expert but I belive that the Freikorps was called Freikorps Danmark (Danish for Denmark) not Freikorps Dänemark.

Edit: Just checked some pictures of danish volunteres in the freikorps and there cufftitle is spelled "Friekorps Danmark" I think it is unlikely that there would be two different spellings of Danmark/Dänemark.
      Last edited by Garder; 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I have researched 2000 KIAs from Denmark which have given me a little insight in these matters.

First of all let me tell you that the name is incorrect to this tag. The name of the soldier was not Jan.

Secondly if this firm claims they found it at Demjansk, they defintetely have a problem as the soldier was killed in Latvia.

Third I would be concerned as this tag also was found in Estonia by another group The tag was shown on other Forums

Either this soldier was very clumsy and lost several tags or someone knows collectors will pay high prices for these items

Fourth. I dont understand that ANY collector will buy these as this is often a result of grave robbery.

regards Jens

Comment

1st off a complete tag wouldn't be from a grave robbery but from a battlefield find.. 2nd there some who believe this an authentic tag [see last post] :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...rps+D%E4nemark

,,whatever,,the fonts are so generic that this tag could be made and aged in less than a days work anyway.....

Comment

[quote=Gaspare;4410499]1st off a complete tag wouldn't be from a grave robbery but from a battlefield find..

Well this just shows that some people have no clue on how many on the eastern front who didnt get a marked grave. Many were simply duck down, best case on the spot especially in the fightings on Narva, Kinderheim and Kurland.

They were simply buried in the trenches.

How do I know? '

Just a look at the casualty reporting from regiment Danmark from 1943-44. It shows again and again "Nicht geborgen".

A proper reserch is always needed before posting......

kind regards Jens

PS dont worry to much about the spelling in Danmark or Dânemark, Both have been used in period dogtags.
            Last edited by Jens; 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

First of all; The owner gave me the wrong first name - the correct name was Palle.

Secondly; The tag wasn't found in Demjansk (who mentioned that ???) but in Narva.

Thirdly: Which forum ?

Fourthly: I pretty much agree. Complete dog tags are OK - ½ dog tags are as questionable as helmets with bullet holes !!!

Finally: One of the leading collectors in Denmark has said that the tag is OK

Originally posted by Jens View Post
              I have researched 2000 KIAs from Denmark which have given me a little insight in these matters.

First of all let me tell you that the name is incorrect to this tag. The name of the soldier was not Jan.

Secondly if this firm claims they found it at Demjansk, they defintetely have a problem as the soldier was killed in Latvia.

Third I would be concerned as this tag also was found in Estonia by another group The tag was shown on other Forums

Either this soldier was very clumsy and lost several tags or someone knows collectors will pay high prices for these items

Fourth. I dont understand that ANY collector will buy these as this is often a result of grave robbery.

regards Jens
              Last edited by OU812; 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Hello again.

I never said this one was Fake.

The problem,is, that many KIAs were "buried" in the trenches and are "escavated" by tresure hunters. The Problem is that they fail to report the finding to Volksbund.

These dead had never their lower half of the dog tag remowed. That is why it can be a problem.

Last Palle Jørgsholm was NOT killed in Estonia but in Latvia, which could indicate he lost the tag.

regards Jens

Comment

Must just be a misunderstanding as this sure sounds like you don't like the tag:

"Either this soldier was very clumsy and lost several tags or someone knows collectors will pay high prices for these items"

Jens,, I've been to many a dig in Ukraine in the mid 1990s. A proper grave the body has a half tag. - it is still a battlefield found tag. Tags are gotten 3 ways,, directly from the vet/family, or from a grave, or from a battlefield..

As far as reporting to the proper German agency,,,I know of sites reported in 1997 that has never been visited or even inquired by the Germans as of yet..

Look at it the other way. Think of the 100s of tags that were reported and the proper people got to the sites and the remains and the families got to know the info.!
                  Last edited by Gaspare; 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I've asked the owner where exately the tag was found - he says that it was found in Narva.

The owner furthermore say that that he tag wasn't found together with any bones etc.

In either case I believe that the tag is OK

Last Palle Jørgsholm was NOT killed in Estonia but in Latvia, which could indicate he lost the tag.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      I've asked the owner where exately the tag was found - he says that it was found in Narva.

The owner furthermore say that that he tag wasn't found together with any bones etc.

In either case I believe that the tag is OK
                      Agree.

I know exactly who found this tag and also the site that sold it. My point is that some established groups working under the Volksbund are very concerned about this group and their work.

Comment

I also think it's HIGHLY questionable that these grave robbers are allowed to exist at all !!!

Agree.

I know exactly who found this tag and also the site that sold it. My point is that some established groups working under the Volksbund are very concerned about this group and their work.

Comment

Hi

The russians buried the dead danish along with their axis comrades in the trenches and in the craters in Narva.
                          I was there last year on the battlefields and this is common knowledge so you better know your sources befor buying dog tags. There where russians digging when we arrived and they are known to sell remains.
                          This is a general obeservation and is not pinpinted on this tag espessialy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X