Fake BeVo volunteer shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake BeVo volunteer shields

Well gents,I was just having a quick dinnertime surf around the other forums and stumbled onto one of the kids over on the Axis Research Forums having a bit of fun posting what he presumably thought were original BeVo shields....not quite sure where he acquired this 'treasure trove' but I thought they may be of interest within the more 'studious' community over here . Actually as you scroll through the pages there is some information to be gleaned.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=38134

The pictures do include a few potential beauties including what looks like original big 'A' 'FRANCE' 'WALLONIE' and 'ESPANA' shields,obviously an in-hand feel for silk and thread-burn test would be required to totally authenticate them though....I should imagine by now our adversaries have rectified their mistake with the little 'A'....it's been common knowledge for long enough.

Hope it's of interest & value,
    Ian Hulley

The initial photos, of the BeVo shields are all original shields which came from the saved archives of the Firma BeVo-Wuppertal. I was shown the original insignia book photos, back in the late 1960's when the son of the former managing director, of BeVo-Wuppertal, was offering them for sale.

This collection was broken up and sold via Manion's. Many wonderful pieces, including the rare versions of Frankreich and Wallonein, not to mention some of the other rarities.

Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
      The initial photos, of the BeVo shields are all original shields which came from the saved archives of the Firma BeVo-Wuppertal. I was shown the original insignia book photos, back in the late 1960's when the son of the former managing director, of BeVo-Wuppertal, was offering them for sale.

This collection was broken up and sold via Manion's. Many wonderful pieces, including the rare versions of Frankreich and Wallonein, not to mention some of the other rarities.

Bob Hritz
      I gotta tell ya, if those were repops I was gonna stay a long way from any F.V. shields. Thanks for clarifying that, Bob.
      Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Yes,thanks Bob,with the later mixed-up jumble the earlier,exotic ones I really thought many were bad...a salutary lesson to me...and perhaps a rich reference source for all of us shield collectors (both past and present).Many of these,as you'll both no-doubt be aware, were copied and mass-produced c1975 I wrongly assumed that that is what those posted were.I recognised the big 'A's and Turkistan...the others all have been faked.

Lesson learned.

Ian Hulley

Comment

Hello Ian,

I have never seen a modern made bevo shield that is not easily identified as a copy. The best were the Wallonie, with the small A, but the others, like Fries Arabien, Turkistan (1st), Turkistan (3rd) were all made on the wrong welt, using black cotton/polyester mixed with the green.

there are some newer generations that could look convincing, if mounted. However, the welt and the reverse are completely incorrect, as is the material. For some reason, the fakers never use rayon.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hi,

Below are two examples of BeVo style shields of what Mr. Hritz is talking about. On your left is an original 3rd pattern Turkistan BeVo shield and on your right is a repro. Although silmilar in design the difference in both shields is like night and day. I hope that the images here will help new collectors on what to look for in these BeVo style shields.

Rene Chavez
            Http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

What was the production run on the rarer bevo shields...ie those pictured in the link..one "roll" of each? What do you guys think? ...I also agree with Bob in that all the repro bevos I have seen are poorly done, but I have seen some new repros such as Russland (sp?)

Comment

Fake Bevo volunteers shields

Sirs,

To complete this interesting article, here is the last generation of copy about which spoke Mr Hritz. As very exactly indicated Mr Hritz, some current copies can deceive some collectors when these badges are mounted on uniforms. Very fortunately the reverse of these badges will not deceive a warned collector.

Here is an example of the badge BA, original to the left and the copy to the right.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

Post Tenebras Lux
                Last edited by polux; 08-13-2006, 08:20 AM.

Comment

First side

Comment

reverse

Comment

Rene and Polux;

Thank you for posting those examples for everyone to see.
                      Best regards,

Tony

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks alot.

Peter Wiking

Comment

Very good copy, but still you can tell by looking at the back...but interesting to see that these are being made now.

Comment

Good study

I wish to thank Rene and Polux for the good study and comparison they made here for the newbies!

I guess the bevo weave type of the 40-45 period is very hard to fake ... the front side of the fakes keep on getting better and better, but as Polux said, always have a look at the backside! That's the way I judge my stuff always too ... off course there are some other tricks and tips, but the backside should be a "general rule"!

Kind regards
                            Geert "Tene quod bene"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X