Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JST Sütterlin Title Photo question

Got this nice JST title photo in.
    Wonder what others think the border color is on this one?
    For my view (but maybe I am wrong) it's bright red.
    Attached Files

looks red Robert

Comment

?

Why would a Guy keep his Sturmbann designation on a JST Cufftitle? Ah, the mysteries !

Comment

When it is red (and I hoped for it) then the photo is probably the only known example so far I know about. This title has nothing to do with a Sturmbann title, it's a pure JST school title.
        Jim will like it

Comment

warum

Yes, but why the color designation?

Comment

JST secret

Comment

Looks red to me also...

Comment

ooohhhh

I love secrets. Is the secret in a very secret book? That only a few have, but nobody knows who has it because it's a secret?

Comment

C. 1934, right? Are there borders on the armband?

Comment

not 100% sure, but doesn't look like. Maybe the upper portion is only a shadow.
                    Attached Files

Comment

JST title.

The Toelz school first class entries, of April 1934, wore three coloured edge titles, all in sutterlin script.
                      Red was for students, blue was worn by team leaders, and silver borders were worn by the school commanders staff.
                      My understanding is that this had changed to all silver by the second class entrants.
                      Basically they were using the coloured borders to differentiate responsibillities.
                      Rare photo Robert.

Peter.
                      Last edited by PCJ; 12-02-2010, 06:09 AM. Reason: Addition.

Comment

Thanks Peter.
                        This I did not know.

Thanks for showing the picture

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by PCJ View Post
                          The Toelz school first class entries, of April 1934, wore three coloured edge titles, all in sutterlin script.
                          Red was for students, blue was worn by team leaders, and silver borders were worn by the school commanders staff.
                          My understanding is that this had changed to all silver by the second class entrants.
                          Basically they were using the coloured borders to differentiate responsibillities.
                          Rare photo Robert.

Peter.
                          Thanks !

Comment

Hi,

Food for thought, but note how the 'red' armband appears very dark, almost 'black', like the uniform itself. I think this is a clue that the photograph was taken using orthochromatic film stock.

From wikipedia:

...Orthochromatic photography refers to a photographic emulsion that is sensitive to only blue and green light, and thus can be processed with a red safelight. Using it, blue objects appear lighter and red ones darker because of increased blue sensitivity.

That would tend to make me think that the borders on the cufftitle are not red, because of how light they appear in comparision to the armband. I think blue or silver is more likely.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Comment

That makes sense. There is a distinct difference between the armband (red) and the CT piping (red). Learned quite a bit with this thread.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X