SS Sidecap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Could you post a better picture of the front side of the skull button?
    Also, what are the markings on the back of it?
    Thanks! Chris

Comment

I normaly doesn't look blue, I think I is because of the flash on my foto-camera, and The Totenkopf on the sidecap is gold color behind the silver color, is that normal, or is it just a fake one

Comment

The RMZ code on the back of the skull is M5/8

Comment

Chris,
          its one of these a m5/8, 3 part button, 1st generation if you like,which were a high quality stamping :-), the one below has lost all its finish
          Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Gary, is that one nickel-silver or brass?
            Thanks! Chris

Comment

chris,

the base metal is a copper colour but when you polish it it looks like brass so could be a mix, i think i might have a picture of one that has not been assembled somewhere but will have to look for it
              cheers,
              gary

Comment

Thanks Gary!

I've never heard of any originals being made of copper or brass.
                It was my understanding, that all of the early ones were made of nickel-silver.
                What are your, (and everyone else's), thoughts on that?
                Thanks again! Chris

Comment

Here, on this site, is a photo whit people who have the same SS Sidecap I think, or something like it

http://www.military.be/web/images/ss2.jpg

Comment

"Here, on this site, is a photo whit people who have the same SS Sidecap I think, or something like it"

Michael,
                    the picture on that site is of a completely different style of cap, your pictures above are on a m40 side cap, now even allowing for flash the cap still looks blue to me very apparent when you see the black lining material and the wool on the edges, the button is a fake, the eagle is a locally made example in Belgium, but what the hell it is doing on the side of the cap is anyone's guess as on this type of cap it should be on the front, now if i this cap was offered to me I would pass unless the whole thing is really cheap and say no more than what the eagle would be worth,
                    cheers,
                    Gary

Comment

Reitz Cap eagle

the eagle referred to in this thread is shown in detail on my website

Werner Palinckx
                      Interested in all E. Reitz Uniformwerke items.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X