Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Pennant Eagle with RZM tag

Hi Everybody,

I got this through the post today and wondered what you all made of it. I haven't seen one before myself though it is illustrated on page 93 of Angolia's Insignia of the Third Reich, where it is described as:

'SS National Emblem intended for the SS Pennant. This was normally sewn to the upper left corner of the pennant. Flat silver thread on white silk backing, and highlighted with black silk thread [which this one appears to conform with]'.

A similar style eagle is also shown on page 133 of Angolia's Cloth Insignia of the SS.

As I said, I haven't seen such an eagle myself before so all comments are appreciated.

All the best,
    Toby.
    Attached Files

And the reverse:

Note my scanning doesn't really do the quality of this eagle justice.
    Attached Files

Comment

Toby.

I believe that's a repro of the pennant eagle - distinguished by the wings being too short.

Sorry.

Robin.

Comment

To add my 2d,this is of similar manufacture to the Schalburg Korps cap eagles and the Reitz manufactured insignia.There isn't the 'welt' surround/backing that conventional BeVo insignia has and all have the 'hollow centre' construction (BAD description but I'm sure you know what I mean). I've just never quite managed to convince myself that everything made this way is bad and I'm talking to an expert on the Reitz factory to try and identify if they did indeed make the Schalburg cap eagles and perhaps these 'pennant' eagles too.
        What doesn't help them is that both appear on the Third Reich Depot site among their other 'offerings'...and that she's either got them in all the time..or that they don't sell at any price.

Kind regards,
        Ian Hulley

Comment

The Danish Schalburg Corps cap eagles were made locally in Denmark, not Reitz in Belgium, same applies to the Schalburg cufftitle and sleeve shields. it is therefore not possible to compare the production of Reitz items with Danish produced Schalburg Corps items.

Originally posted by Ian Hulley
          To add my 2d,this is of similar manufacture to the Schalburg Korps cap eagles and the Reitz manufactured insignia.There isn't the 'welt' surround/backing that conventional BeVo insignia has and all have the 'hollow centre' construction (BAD description but I'm sure you know what I mean). I've just never quite managed to convince myself that everything made this way is bad and I'm talking to an expert on the Reitz factory to try and identify if they did indeed make the Schalburg cap eagles and perhaps these 'pennant' eagles too.
          What doesn't help them is that both appear on the Third Reich Depot site among their other 'offerings'...and that she's either got them in all the time..or that they don't sell at any price.

Kind regards,
          Ian Hulley
          Looking for any original items related to Danish W-SS volunteers

Comment

prorege,who manufactured the Schalburg ones ?...the construction is similar to Reitz AND, to stay on topic, to this 'fake' pennant eagle.

Cheers,Ian

Comment

I don't remember the name of the Danish factory - they made insignia before, during and after the war including Danish Navy cap ribbons.

During the war the made amongst others: 1st type gothic Freikorps Danmark cufftitle, Schalburg corps cufftitle + sleeve shield + cap insignia, Danish NSU insignia - all "Bevo" like in appearance.

Originally posted by Ian Hulley
              prorege,who manufactured the Schalburg ones ?...the construction is similar to Reitz AND, to stay on topic, to this 'fake' pennant eagle.

Cheers,Ian

Comment

eagles

Back in the early 80s, reproduction SS eagles such as this were sold to dealers by J. Floch, as well as bevo woven SA sportbadges with staining to the backing, BdM sleeve triangles (which were actually original), and other items. The material of the background will glow like blue neon under blacklight if this is one of those examples.
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Danish manufactured WW2 "Bevo" insignia

Ian

Here is the complete display of Danish manufactured WW2 "Bevo"-like insignia. This cardboard came from a factory worker - he was engaged in the production of insignia prior, during and after the war and kept one example of each and every type of insignia they made. Interestingly two of the insignia are incomplete or faulty - the colors on the yellow Shalburg sleeve shield are reversed, the lions should be blue and the hearts red, also the lower left LAT (labour service) sleeve shield is only half finished on the red background. Hope this clarifies.

Comment

very nice and rare stuff... Hard to find here in the states...wfg

Comment

Wonderful prorege,many thanks.I'd never even seen reference to the Schalburg shield.I guess that's that one laid to rest then.

Thanks again,

Ian Hulley.

Comment

Hello Everybody!

Thanks for all the comments - sorry for the delay but I've been out of action these past couple of days.

Well, I've tested the Eagle under blacklight and I don't think it glows. And, wouldn't the RZM label glow where it had been stuck down, if postwar?

Also, what do you think of the RZM label? It looks right to me (fonts etc.); is the tax code appropriate?

Best,
                        Toby.

Comment

eagles

Hello Toby,
                          are you sure that the white backing material does not glow under blacklight?
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

This piece is a fantasy item. Here is a picture of a fake I have.
                            Attached Files

Comment

It is not only fake...but something that never existed...the only time I have seen these in a book they were part of a so-called NSKK armband, but I am sure they are rubbish and it does not matter if the backing glows or not as fakes were made years apart so you will have some fakes that glow brightly and others that do not glow such as the example I have pictured....also looks like your example and my example were dipped in something to age the pieces...look at the creases and not the different colorations this is because when the piece was removed from the aging solution (tea, coffee?) it would dry differently on the flat parts as opposed to the creased parts because the liquid would settle in one area or another.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by StevenD; 03-11-2004, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X