Unmarked SS Skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
    This skull is consistently referred to at first glance as a Deschler. That is for sure. I think Deschler could have made it for sale through other distribution channels unregulated by the RZM...or regulated as well. I am thinking of the Ges. Gesch. marked Assmann. How is it that the Assmann skull was not required to be RZM marked. Any thoughts on that?
    Those who refer to these skulls as Deschlers must have no attention to detail, as the similarities are few and the differences are obvious. As I said before, there are certain distinct design characteristics common to every single style of skull known to have been made by Deschler, which this design does not have and that this skull includes distinct design features, which are found on no known original Deschler skull. Hell, just try counting the number of teeth, for God's sake!

It makes absolutely NO sense to me that Deschler would be entirely consistent with its design across all of the many known variations it produced for a decade, but that it would make one unique, strange variation that is so drastically different in design from ALL of the others.

The absence of a marking does nothing to increase the likelihood that this could have come from Deschler. Even if they made some skulls outside of the RZM control for some reason (which itself makes no sense), why would they completely redesign the cosmetic features of the skull because of that?

Look at this from the other direction. What at all would lead anyone to conclude that these odd skulls, that look so different from every other Deschler skull, were made by Deschler too?!

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
      Those who refer to these skulls as Deschlers must have no attention to detail, as the similarities are few and the differences are obvious. As I said before, there are certain distinct design characteristics common to every single style of skull known to have been made by Deschler, which this design does not have and that this skull includes distinct design features, which are found on no known original Deschler skull. Hell, just try counting the number of teeth, for God's sake!

It makes absolutely NO sense to me that Deschler would be entirely consistent with its design across all of the many known variations it produced for a decade, but that it would make one unique, strange variation that is so drastically different in design from ALL of the others.

The absence of a marking does nothing to increase the likelihood that this could have come from Deschler. Even if they made some skulls outside of the RZM control for some reason (which itself makes no sense), why would they completely redesign the cosmetic features of the skull because of that?

Look at this from the other direction. What at all would lead anyone to conclude that these odd skulls, that look so different from every other Deschler skull, were made by Deschler too?!
      Brad,
      How do you know Deschler was not approached by an entirely different insignia maker who wanted a skull manufactured with their unique look. This is not an uncommon practice in manufacturing and is referred to as "Private Labeling". That said, the skulls would have a unique look for that customer, not to be confused with the Deschler style skull. I am not saying that I really believe this happened, only that it may be a plausable reason for why they exist. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
        Brad,
        How do you know Deschler was not approached by an entirely different insignia maker who wanted a skull manufactured with their unique look. This is not an uncommon practice in manufacturing and is referred to as "Private Labeling". That said, the skulls would have a unique look for that customer, not to be confused with the Deschler style skull. I am not saying that I really believe this happened, only that it may be a plausable reason for why they exist. Peter
        Anything is possible. However, the scenario you just made up for Deschler could just as easily be made up for any of the other known original manufacturers...or another German insignia manufacturer that we don't know of...or a foreign manufacturer...or a crazy entrepreneur operating out of his basement...or British intelligence to outfit Allied spies in counterfeit SS uniforms...or....

Since there remains absolutely NOTHING in evidence to directly link these skulls to Deschler whatsoever, any of these made up scenarios is as likely as the ones you are making up. In my opinion, considering the distinct differences between this style and ALL other known Deschler styles, I actually consider it more likely that one of these scenarios is the case than the one you created from thin air.

My money is on the British.

Comment

Originally posted by bwanek1 View Post
          Anything is possible. However, the scenario you just made up for Deschler could just as easily be made up for any of the other known original manufacturers...or another German insignia manufacturer that we don't know of...or a foreign manufacturer...or a crazy entrepreneur operating out of his basement...or British intelligence to outfit Allied spies in counterfeit SS uniforms...or....

Since there remains absolutely NOTHING in evidence to directly link these skulls to Deschler whatsoever, any of these made up scenarios is as likely as the ones you are making up. In my opinion, considering the distinct differences between this style and ALL other known Deschler styles, I actually consider it more likely that one of these scenarios is the case than the one you created from thin air.

My money is on the British.
          Fascinating.
          Just wondering.....would it really have been possible for the British to have made such convincing fakes? What process would they have used? Maybe they aquired original dies towards end of war?.......but wouldn't those have maker marks too?
          Such an intriguing theory. What secrets will never be found out, burned, or buried in secret documents?!
          Cheers,

Jp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X