Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tgn View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that, Fritz.

I'd still like to know what Pieter's cryptic comment was all about...

Tom
    I am sure Pieter has seen this set up in person and loves it!
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Yes, nice...there examples in better condition out there....

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post

I am still having problems seeing all the problems you see.
        From the pictures I see 6 severe problems with it. But I don't claim to be right, so in fact it may be a very fine original in reality... just not in my mind.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

I don't usually chime in but this is one subject that I can contribute to. I picked up from a 101st vets widow a complete "rig". Meaning a ss single decal M-42, first pattern camo cover and face veil and a nco whistle. These items all came from a 17th SS soldier who fought in Normandy and most likely perished there. Two sets of initials are painted inside the liner. Worn in combat and in excellent shape. It's the highlight of my minuscule ss collection. The veil is elasticized with the camo pattern on the band. If you look at the strings which dangle in front of the wearers eyes the bottom (frayed) ends should contain numerous different colored threads. It's not readily apparent unless a close look is taken at the frayed ends. That's what mine looks like anyway. Sorry the only photos ever taken are on Mark Bando's website,"TriggerTime" and most likely found under the heading "souvenirs".

Comment

From the pictures I see 6 severe problems with it. But I don't claim to be right, so in fact it may be a very fine original in reality... just not in my mind.

Both are nice originals, you guys fail to mention the examples with three springs. Your "theory" Fritz has to be upgraded.

Best,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by PAO View Post

you guys fail to mention the examples with three springs.
              Terribly sorry for not listing all the sub categories up but considering that I had to double and triple post information it wouldn't have been of too much advantage to bring things like these in as it would increase the confusuion that may be there.

These are considered to be a manufacturer's variant and are "quite rare", it is yet unknown when these first apppeared. But perhaps you can help us out on that? It would be good to know, yet I haven't seen a original that survived the war, only (wartime) photos.

Originally posted by PAO View Post
              Your "theory" Fritz has to be upgraded
              Theory? What theory?

Comment

Originally posted by gj dettore View Post
                I don't usually chime in but this is one subject that I can contribute to. I picked up from a 101st vets widow a complete "rig". Meaning a ss single decal M-42, first pattern camo cover and face veil and a nco whistle. These items all came from a 17th SS soldier who fought in Normandy and most likely perished there. Two sets of initials are painted inside the liner. Worn in combat and in excellent shape. It's the highlight of my minuscule ss collection. The veil is elasticized with the camo pattern on the band. If you look at the strings which dangle in front of the wearers eyes the bottom (frayed) ends should contain numerous different colored threads. It's not readily apparent unless a close look is taken at the frayed ends. That's what mine looks like anyway. Sorry the only photos ever taken are on Mark Bando's website,"TriggerTime" and most likely found under the heading "souvenirs".
                I have admired that helmet several times.

Here is what you are describing:
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,
                  Great "core" photo and I wonder if all authentic veils have that trait and do the fakes lack it?

Comment

Originally posted by gj dettore View Post
                    Willi,
                    Great "core" photo and I wonder if all authentic veils have that trait and do the fakes lack it?
                    Yes. An there are other traits as well. Obvious on the one I posted, yours, the one on Kris's site, and the one which is the focus of this thread. There are unique threads in specific areas of the veil.

The fakes, IMO, don't even come close.
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X