48. SS Standarte early photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J-W.Bode View Post

..........Note the Sani on the bottem left. Interesting!
    Yah, I saw him(?), maybe he's the "nurse"
    He won't be coming out of the closet anytime soon with those two very mean guys on the opposite side of photo(guy in kepi previously mentioned).

But all in all, I love the pose he's striking.

Jp

Comment

anyone know who the commander of this unit, 48.ss-standarte was in 1940? Rank would be obersturmbannfuehrer.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
        anyone know who the commander of this unit, 48.ss-standarte was in 1940? Rank would be obersturmbannfuehrer.
        Egon Dalski. (promoted to Obersturmbannführer on 20 April 1938 and to Standartenführer on 20 April 1939.)

Comment

thanks, but I have a julfest greeting card signed by the commander of 48. ss std and it appears to be "Schramm." I have the postmarked envelope that it was mailed in from Leipzig and the date looks like 23.12.40 which is Dec 12, 1940. Was Schramm the XO in '40 or an interim commander perhaps?

Comment

Also whistle chord worn on left and right pockets?Ive only seen this with SS,all others like SA wear on right only.

Comment

What a beautiful photo..so crisp & clear! These guys look so happy....now?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. R View Post
                thanks, but I have a julfest greeting card signed by the commander of 48. ss std and it appears to be "Schramm." I have the postmarked envelope that it was mailed in from Leipzig and the date looks like 23.12.40 which is Dec 12, 1940. Was Schramm the XO in '40 or an interim commander perhaps?
                Mark Yerger's Allgemeine SS lists Egon Dalski as the commander of the 48th Standarte from January 1937 to 1 April 1944 with his successor for the period from 1 April 1944 to May 1945 given as Kurt Schramm. So, that would appear to be the man in question.

The SS-Dienstalterslisten for the relevant period show the following duty positions for these men:

Egon Dalski
                - Commander of 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938/15 June 1939 and 30 Jan. 1944]
                - Commander of Abschnitt XVII [SS-DAL of 9 Nov. 1944]

Kurt Schramm
                - Commander of the II. Sturmbann of the 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938/15 June 1939, 1 Oct. 1942 and 1 Oct. 1943]
                - Commander of the 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Oct. 1944]
                Last edited by HPL2008; 04-02-2011, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Very nice and rare picture.

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
                    Mark Yerger's Allgemeine SS lists Egon Dalski as the commander of the 48th Standarte from January 1937 to 1 April 1944 with his successor for the period from 1 April 1944 to May 1945 given as Kurt Schramm. So, that would appear to be the man in question.

The SS-Dienstalterslisten for the relevant period show the following duty positions for these men:

Egon Dalski
                    - Commander of 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938/15 June 1939 and 30 Jan. 1944]
                    - Commander of Abschnitt XVII [SS-DAL of 9 Nov. 1944]

Kurt Schramm
                    - Commander of the II. Sturmbann of the 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Dec. 1938/15 June 1939, 1 Oct. 1942 and 1 Oct. 1943]
                    - Commander of the 48th SS-Standarte [SS-DAL of 1 Oct. 1944]
                    thanks so much. the card was signed by the battalion commander then who later became regimental commander/std commander. great info.

Comment

Egon Dalski is correct - he died in 1962.

Although not really much of him is left his biography is a quite interesting one.

Comment

Looks like no decals on helmets.
                        Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mogdala View Post
                          I just want to share my latest find. I was quite happy to find this photo. Early one showing SS Standarte 48 "Elbe" - Leipzig

Enjoy
                          Hi, my first time posting as this photo is of particular interest. I believe there is a chance my grandfather is in this photo. I was hoping you may have a date. I would also be very grateful if you still have the image without the faces covered.

I believe my grandfather was in the 48th SS Standarte Leipzig 2nd Sturm as of 1936. I have his wedding photo in formal SS attire and an expert assessed that he was in this division.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyrzton View Post
                            Hi, my first time posting as this photo is of particular interest. I believe there is a chance my grandfather is in this photo. I was hoping you may have a date. I would also be very grateful if you still have the image without the faces covered.

I believe my grandfather was in the 48th SS Standarte Leipzig 2nd Sturm as of 1936. I have his wedding photo in formal SS attire and an expert assessed that he was in this division.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give.
                            Hard to tell but looks to be the 4th Sturm. I would say it's impossible to say which Sturmbann.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X