X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Honor Ring

Anyone catch this ring updated on Gottlieb's site:

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/data/in...2C+von+Salisch

Something does not sit right...thoughts?

Originally posted by PAB_Collector View Post
    Anyone catch this ring updated on Gottlieb's site:

http://www.craiggottlieb.com/data/in...2C+von+Salisch

Something does not sit right...thoughts?
    Not for my collection!

Comment

Description question?...how does resizing effect the inscription

Comment

Originally posted by RUHL13 View Post
        Description question?...how does resizing effect the inscription

To further this a little, I showed the ring on Craig's site to a collector friend who is in the market for another SSHR, and we both could not wrap are heads around the description of the item, at all.

"What makes this ring special are two things. First, it is one of the very few engravings where the "v." for the officer's title of "von" is noted. You see them both ways, but this version is quite rare. Second, the recipient of this ring makes the ring a special piece. The officer was Karl von Salisch, a double-agent for the SD, who was involved in a covert operation known by historians as The Venlo Affair. He ended the war as a police president in 1944. While many rings belonged to "SD Officers" this could have meant anything - staff, adminstration, you name it. But this guy was a double agent, pure secret service. It should be noted that although the ring is original, and exhibits all exterior details that mark this ring as an original specimen, the interior engraving is not typical of the various engraving styles noted on the interior of other rings I have observed. The key feature that differs is the shape of the "mm" in Himmler. There are many possible explanations for this, including the possibility that the ring was resized, or possibly a very early specimen produced just after Gahr transitioned to the new 1940s style. Whatever the explanation, the ring is 100% unaltered post 1945. Still, due to this aspect of the piece, I have set the price accordingly."

How can a dealer state the ring is:

-100% original,
        -then point out the incorrect engraved lettering,
        -then explain said incorrect lettering, by suggesting this is due to resizing(???) or, the ring being a rare "transitional ring"....................,
        -then reaffirming the ring is 100% authentic,
        -then concluding that in light of the "aspect of the piece"(????) he has generously priced the piece.....

Seriously, if he believed this ring was 100% unaltered post '45 authentic, why the reduction on such an important
        named ring?? It makes no sense. Well, it does, if something stinks.

Also, aside from the BS sales pitch, this ring looks all wrong, even to a novice like myself.

I would love to know what Don has to say about this piece.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
          Not for my collection!
          Nor mine!Dont like it at all or the story.
          Seiler
          (Yank in UK)

Comment

Ring

Resized? Really? You think so? Aww-www come on. You're just FEAR MONGERING. Those 2 lines you see on both sides of the Ty-Rune are just an illusion. Uh-oh - I think they were trying to save the Ty-Rune design, so they sized it on each side. How clever. NOT. There are other things I question about the ring, though it's possible it was a good ring at one time. It's either completely fake, or an original that has been heavily altered. Neither are good. Perhaps they use special script engraving on secret agent SS rings in case they're captured.

Comment

If it looks like a pig and smells like a pig the chances are ......

And no quantity of fancy Dan words will change that.

Ian

Comment

Quote of the day...

"........makes the ring a special piece." Well we can't argue with his description on THAT !!

Comment

A description caused by desperation.

Comment

Ring

What kind of secret agent has the name, "Salsich", anyway? Now, if it said "Bond", then I'm on board.

Comment

It would be a fun job to make sh*t up for description of bad/suspect items on these dealer sites!

Jp

Comment

Only one word...............PATHETIC.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X