Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Stand Typewriter

There is a SS Typewriter on Estand for 390EUR

if I look at the SS key..dont like it at all!!
    the 5 looks very small compared to all other digits on the keys...

check it out..

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=430683

It is possible that the 5 button has been replaced, but thats not the important bit is it?
    Last edited by David Fettes; 04-21-2010, 05:25 AM. Reason: bad english

Comment

Originally posted by David Fettes View Post
      It is possible that the 5 button has been replaced, but thats not the important bit is it?

I would say it is quite one of the important bits..and if the button is not correct, whats with the rest??
      I have seen a fake SS Typewriter months ago, where also the button did not look correct compared to the rest..
      its just my humble opinion with this typewriter but I for myself wouldnt want it if it looks like this.

I look for almost 3 years now on any typewriter I see on flea markets here in germany and Ill be on flea markets nearly every weekend!!..and youll find old typewriters all the Time from any makers etc. but never found a SS one..except a obviously fake one.
      And this Seller has always SS Typewriters to offer...worries me a little

Comment

Typewriter

It seems perfectly fine IMO. I looked at it very carefully and can find nothing odd about it. It would also seem that the cost associated with converting a standard, non SS typewriter into and SS typewriter would not be worth the trouble. Typically these are purchased for under $500 in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
          It would also seem that the cost associated with converting a standard, non SS typewriter into and SS typewriter would not be worth the trouble. Typically these are purchased for under $500 in the US.

I could get here non SS Typewrites from pre45 all kinds of makers for about 10-30EUR every weekend and dont think its to much hassle to replace the Button or at least the inlay of the button and let me make the SS Sign and Number with a CNC maschine and replace it too! makes it worth it if it brings me 500$ in the end...

But maybe Im wrong and everything is fine and original with this typewriter..just odd that only this button looks other then all the rest of the buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by Thälmannpionier View Post
            I could get here non SS Typewrites from pre45 all kinds of makers for about 10-30EUR every weekend and dont think its to much hassle to replace the Button or at least the inlay of the button and let me make the SS Sign and Number with a CNC maschine and replace it too! makes it worth it if it brings me 500$ in the end...

But maybe Im wrong and everything is fine and original with this typewriter..just odd that only this button looks other then all the rest of the buttons.
            Thalmannpionier, I agree with you. IMO by looking at the pics, The #5 is much smaller and it almost looks as if it has less wear (the dust build up around the edge of the button) then the other buttons.

Comment

It is also possible that the key was replaced during the war. The striking business end looks fine and original to me.

Comment

SS typewriter

IMO, there is no such thing as a fake SS typewriter.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I was once offered one that had the SS striker arm newly fabricated and a newly made SS key.

Comment

SS Typewriter

Originally posted by g hanson View Post
                    Sorry, but I have to disagree. I was once offered one that had the SS striker arm newly fabricated and a newly made SS key.
                    OK, not to belabor this subject, but how do you know it wasn't upgraded during the period. Back then, it would have made sense to have that done.

Comment

w/o stating anything to the offered one but to upgrade typewriters into SS ones is an old business doing over in Deutschland, for sure not in the US ...

Comment

OK, not to belabor this subject, but how do you know it wasn't upgraded during the period. Back then, it would have made sense to have that done.

Because the owner made the pieces himself. He was proud of his work, although one could easily tell it was not of the same quality, and showed me another strike arm he had also made.

He did not offer it to me as a genuine piece and was upfront at all times.

Comment

SS Typewriter

Originally posted by g hanson View Post
                          Because the owner made the pieces himself. He was proud of his work, although one could easily tell it was not of the same quality, and showed me another strike arm he had also made.

He did not offer it to me as a genuine piece and was upfront at all times.
                          Oh well.....??? Unbelievable but true.

Comment

IMO, there is no such thing as a fake SS typewriter.

..remember all the fakers that fake SS Docs etc...I dont think they all have period SS Typewriters in their possession...but maybe they have..dunno

Comment

Originally posted by Thälmannpionier View Post
                              ..remember all the fakers that fake SS Docs etc...I dont think they all have period SS Typewriters in their possession...but maybe they have..dunno
                              I'm sure all "fakers" would love to have an authentic SS typewriter for their "tool box"....ya never know when it may come in handy.
                              On a valuable doc., I'm not sure a shop made add-on striker would be prudent.
                              But hell........ fakers never cease to amaze the duped, and experts alike.
                              Jp

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X