SS-Leaders Buckle, opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Leaders Buckle, opinions please.

Can you confirm my presumption that this is copy?

SA - NSDAP - HJ - BDM and AH-pictures/medals collector
    especially SA-Sport and SA-Defense Badges

Originally posted by Schwertehre View Post
    Can you confirm my presumption that this is copy
    of course copy

Comment

Originally posted by bnz. 42 View Post
      of course copy
      Agreed

Ric

Comment

buckle

Is this buckle up for offers .... ? Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by bnz. 42 View Post
          of course copy
          Exactly WHY is this buckle a reproduction? Merely saying "of course" provides no guidance whatsoever. How about some evidence?

Comment

You can see casting flaws all over it. The originals were very crisply die struck. See the tiny raised beads on the back near the markings? From bubbles in the casting process. Even a mis-struck piece would NEVER have such flaws. Also - two big casting flaws around the swastika.

I'm looking for a repro buckle to hang on my Pirschen Allgemiene SS tunic - I hope they come a little better than this, though.
            Last edited by checkit; 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Here are some of the casting bubbles on the front. Once you get in the habit of looking for these, they will jump out at you. Have you ever seen a little raised bead or a small glob of metal on a die struck coin? Never. But this die cast stuff often has it. There is likely a casting seam near the edge of this buckle as well. Look at some big pics of a more common and unquestionably real buckle, like Political Leader, and you will see that the die struck design is perfect - no raised beads, no pin holes, no globs. Odd that the rarer stuff is so much more poorly made - or could it be - many fakes abound?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by checkit View Post
                Here are some of the casting bubbles on the front. Once you get in the habit of looking for these, they will jump out at you. Have you ever seen a little raised bead or a small glob of metal on a die struck coin? Never. But this die cast stuff often has it. There is likely a casting seam near the edge of this buckle as well. Look at some big pics of a more common and unquestionably real buckle, like Political Leader, and you will see that the die struck design is perfect - no raised beads, no pin holes, no globs. Odd that the rarer stuff is so much more poorly made - or could it be - many fakes abound?
                Don:
                You have provided the evidence. Thank you. This is very helpful.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X