need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

My uncle is in this picture (first on the left) can anyone tell me roughly what year and what branch of the SS he's in, I have found out the one in the middle is wearing the field grey tunic of self-propelled artillery 'Sturmgeshutz'.
    Could they be POW's
    I have done a bit tidying up on the computer as it was badly folded and marked

Originally posted by john-uk View Post
    My uncle is in this picture (first on the left) can anyone tell me roughly what year and what branch of the SS he's in, I have found out the one in the middle is wearing the field grey tunic of self-propelled artillery 'Sturmgeshutz'.
    Could they be POW's
    I have done a bit tidying up on the computer as it was badly folded and marked
    The man in the middle is a tanker, as he is wearing a black sidecap. His outfit is the green HBT protective uniform for all armoured crews, to be worn over or instead the black one (in this case) or fieldgrey one for STUG crews.

THey are for sure no POWs, as they still show all insignias - and look happy.

Comment

Likely a tanker but there is also a tiny chance he could be part of a recon unit. I'd put the picture in the year 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
        I'd put the picture in the year 42.
        Yes, the newly issued M42 tunics leed that way. Maybee they are new recruts (looks like an army barrak in the background) who are about to be trained as tankers, by this experienced Rottenführer?

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
          who are about to be trained as tankers, by this experienced Rottenführer?

Makes perfect sense also as nothing indicates a hospital or sort of.

Comment

Again many thanks to you chaps on this forum I posted a picture in
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=425646
            of him in the 50's and got a great responce.
            I am researching my family history, my mother was from Breslau,she and her family where very lucky to survive.
            Her first and second? husbands family have links to hat makering in Breslau so I will be asking questions in the relivant forum.

john

Comment

I would say 1942 as well for a date
              Best
              John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X