• Show
Clear All

A diferent SS cap

Hello

Please I need your help and your opinions on this cap
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Cap

Looks like a bevo TK underneath the metal cap skull.

Comment

Please , and feathers?

Comment

A Heer factory produced Bergmutze,likely upgraded with SS insignia by the wearer (looks like bevo skull under the metal skull),IMO.

Glenn
        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

I remember seeing this one before somewhere.

Ian

Comment

you see it on Bill Shea / Beaver book.

Comment

SS GBJ man in party/foto mode!! Billbert

Comment

Looks like a bevo TK underneath the metal cap skull
                I'd say a cockade under this type of skull..
                Attached Files

Comment

My initial reaction was also that it is a cockade under that skull. That is because of the round shape and what seems to be darker cloth in the centre.
                  However that is VERY high placement for a cockade. With an original cockade that high there would be no place for an heer eagle. It does not make sense.
                  Probaly it is a skull covered by metal skull that looks more fancy for the photo. However that does only partly makes sense.

It is a special photo for sure.

//Felix

Comment

Great and unusual portrait, a shot from his left side would might have made it an even more interesting photo.

P.S. Maybe he tried to give the illusion of the skull having a lower jaw, the cloth insignia could have been easily removed before applying the metal skull or were the feathers and metal skull only applied to the cap for the portrait.

Comment

Prewar austrian style "Bergmütze", many of those were adopted for the mountain-troops of the Wehrmacht. This soldier might have changed from army MTs to SS, and kept his cap.

The feathers are typical tirolesian (Innsbruck area) folklore, worn for special national celebrations, e.g. the death of national-hero Andreas Hofer.

Comment

Here is an example that looks the same as the one in the photo.Similar wool,buttons (buttons are original to this hat),button holes, cut etc. Note the placement of the cockade.

Glenn
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JanSSNederland View Post

Maybe he tried to give the illusion of the skull having a lower jaw

That would be my guess.

Glenn

Comment

That must be a common photo as I also have an original.

Bob Hritz
                            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

The picture was faked many times since many copies of it around, most of them with the infamous "KGB" archives on the back: if I remember well he was identified as a member of an Hungarian WSS division.

The "Tetrao Tetrix" feather, called Federschmuk or Spielhahnstoss, was used on the Feldkappe by the K.u.K. Austro-Hungarian alpine troops such as Landes-Kaiserschuetzen, Gebirgsschuetzen and Standschuetzen during and even before WWI: that feather is still commonly used by the Hunters all over the Alps, from Tirol to Slovenia.

For more information about the use of such feather by alpine SS\SD units during WWII check the new Editions Heimdal book "Karstjaeger", there's a long article there about it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X