LAH barracks in Berlin today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAH barracks in Berlin today.

I just thought some of you guys would be interested in these quick snaps I took in Spandau last week.

This is the guard room of the LAH barracks, the poor old eagle barely visible and a pillar depicting a little German history.

Much of the barracks exists and was reconditioned/rebuilt by the British forces who used it in the Cold War days.

I hope this dosen't bore you.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Comment

Marcus.

Nice to see.

I was in Berlin last September, but missed that one.

The city's fast becoming quite a beautiful place again.

The place that sticks in my mind is the Anhalter Bahnhof air-raid bunker - now part-museum and part-chamber of horrors.

How these Berliners managed to shelter in these places for weeks on end during the bombing, God only knows. One woman stood on a single step in the bunker for 6 full days, it was so crowded and the bombing was so incessant.

The blitz didn't only happen across here.

Best regards,

Robin.

Comment

Reich adler-Tempelhof

Originally posted by Marcus. H
          Ever flown into Tempelhof?Beautiful eight foot tall IIIrd.Reich eagles(sans swastikas) flanking exits;across street from Berlin Airlift Memorial.

Comment

LAH Barracks

Correct me for my ignorence.

But the LAH barracks was the one in Berlin Lichterfelde where the Bundes Archiv now is stationed. This was later an American Garrison.

Cheers

Jens

Comment

LAH Barracks

Hi folks....Jens is 100% correct...the depicted building is the former home of the LAH, it was called "Andrews Barracks" during the occupation (Remember Berlin was an Occupied Zone !!!) and it housed elements of the 6th U.S. Infantry Regiment (Gators) of which I was a proud member from 1961-1963 !!!

Comment

What these photos don't show is the two large cement blocks outside the main gate which encase the two large statues of SS troopers which 'guarded' the barracks. I was there doing some research last year, and was amused to see that they hadn't been removed but just covered over.

Cheers,

Baz

Comment

Nice to see its still there.

Cheers.
                  Peter Wiking

Comment

Not wanting to get into an argument, and Jens is right that the well known LAH barracks was in Lichterfelde BUT the depicted Barracks here in Spandau were also used by the LAH. That I have on very good authority from somebody who has done tons of reseach into military buildings in Berlin. They are also marked as LAH barracks on a map bought out by British Intelligence shortly after the war.

Skip
                    LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

If you want to see some really good surviving buildings from this era, THE place to go is MUNICH. The Feldherrnhalle, Fuhrerbau, Konigsplatz, Kongresshalle etc. etc. are intact. Take a look at the undernoted site:

www.thirdreichruins.com

Comment

Hi Robin,
                        Thanks for the link! Fascinating viewing.
                        ........... John

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus. H
                          I just thought some of you guys would be interested in these quick snaps I took in Spandau last week.

This is the guard room of the LAH barracks, the poor old eagle barely visible and a pillar depicting a little German history.

Much of the barracks exists and was reconditioned/rebuilt by the British forces who used it in the Cold War days.

I hope this dosen't bore you.

Kind regards,

Marcus
                          Marcus,
                          Thanks for sharing your pics!
                          .... John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X